Chronic ankle pain

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, does anyone have any answers?

I've a history of ankle sprains and last year I had a partial tear in my anterior talofibular of the lateral ankle consistent with a previous injury and increased thickening. That's the MRI results . I went on crutches and had two months of physio, nothing changed was still in pain constantly and it swelled like a balloon and even after 14 months there's been no change. I had an appointment with the surgeon who fitted me with a brace and I did a further 4 months physio. Had a steroid injection three weeks ago into my ankle joint and it's worse if anything. I don't know what will be done as I can't stand the thought if being left like this. Has anyone gone through this or had any advice I'd be delighted

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I have been dealing with ankle pain for over a year and mornings have been excruciating. Had a talofibular injection and the pain really did get worse. I ended up going to emergency the pain was so bad had to put me on a morphine drip. 

I was given celebrex which I think helped a little. Maybe the injection will kick in soon and you will be in less pain. 

• Posted

Thanks for your reply😀 How are you now? Have you still got pain? Yes definately in the morning and at night

• Posted

Hi

Pain minimal now thankfully.  Don't know if it is the Celebrex or the injection that finally kicked in but able to get out of bed without a cane. Pain was excruciating just from bedroom to bathroom in the morning. 

I started having pain March 2016 and it kept getting worse - had Doppler, MRI,EMG and needle proble - which made it worse. Saw orthopaedic, rheumatologist, neurologist, physiotherapist and chiropractor as well as anesthesiologist. 

Don't give up - I know at times it cane be so depressing - just feel like crying - but keep going and be your advocate. Nobody knows how you feel but you

• Posted

hi, great advice , thank you!

What was the problem, the reason for the pain?

• Posted

It started with pain in lateral calf and I thought could have been a clot. Was given naproxen for tendinitis but when pain got worse had an MRI and showed nothing so did MRI of the back. Showed lumbar discs 4 and 5  out of place so assumed coming from that. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.