Chronic anxious insomnia - will citalopram help eventually?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there

I was on citalopram years ago for anxiety and it really helped, I was on it for a long time. Lately I started feeling anxious again, which has now heightened to severe at night time - when I go to bed it feels like my heart might explode in my chest. There is just no way of relaxing, except when I take 1 zopiclone. I don't want to take these forever I know they're addictive, but I'm wondering if anyone has had this experience? I'm hoping once the citalopram kicks back in I'll feel strong and if I don't sleep I'll be able to cope, just at the moment feeling anxious in bed all night sets me up for a terrible day the next day.

I used to sleep fine when I was on citalopram (20mg and even 10mg) but I didn't really have sleeping problems before then.

Can anyone help?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Holly, I am on Citalopram 10mg and sleep better now, it took a while. I was like you and didn't sleep well for years before, so hopefully you will start to sleep better. Good luck.
    • Posted

Hi Elizabeth

Thanks for your help. I went to the doctor this morning and she prescribed a weeks worth of Zopiclone but I'm terrified if I keep taking them I'll become dependent and my sleep will get even worse, but then I constantly worry about not sleeping. Rock/hard place. Did you have any experience with this?

Holly

• Posted

Hi you will get back into a routine has Griffin has also said, it will take acouple of weeks. Take tablet at same time each day and you will not become addicted on the Zopiclone on a short course. Just try and relax before bed, i read before i sleep and don't drink coffe late either. 
  • Posted

You'll be fine when the Citalopram kicks back in. It's really horrible not being able to sleep but it certainly helped me. It just took a couple of weeks. If you do take Zopiclone for a week you should take it at the same time every night and try to get your body back into a routine of sleep.
    • Posted

I was actually given temazepam and that was the instruction I was given by the doctor. If you struggle to sleep, establishing a routine can be really helpful. Also, having a bath in the eveing helped.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.