Chronic appendicitis and urticaria?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I started experiencing unexplained hives all over my body - never knowing where from hour to hour - 5 1/2 months ago. I've had every test imaginable to rule out systemic or other causes and no triggers seem to make sense. Antihistamines to not work. Xolair provided no relief after 4 rounds. I had a total thyroidectomy 6 weeks ago to remove a benign mass and was hopeful that would end the hives. It did not. Since then, I have started seeing a Traditional Chinese Medicine practitioner for accupuncture and cupping. The tea did seem to bring some itching relief in the middle of the night. 

And now - one week ago, a lurking mild tug in my right side became acute and within hours my appendix was removed. Not one hive since. I'm so afraid to exhale with relief. Will they return? Does anyone believe their is a connection between a lingering bacterial, appendix infection and/or appendictis and my hives? 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

My hives flare when I have any sort of infection. The common cold is the thing that most usually triggers my hives, that and cold contact.
  • Posted

My belief from my own story. From speaking on here to others who share this condition is that the start of this is either an infection or a sudden trauma that has happened in their life. I have found anything from  a cold to an infection in a tooth, to bowel problems. makes the situation worse. Although I do have triggers such as heat, sun and stress.
  • Posted

Heavy tiredness / fatigue or sheer exhaustion is another trigger for me. I suppose that's not that different to stress and often leads to infections too. And the hives add to stress and exhaustion and worsen infections, especially if they mess with your sleep. It seems to be a very complex set of variable triggers for me. One of the signs that an attack is coming on is that I will suddenly out of the blue feel complete exhaustion, brain fog and overall weakness bordering on depression. Then usually that night or by the next morning my skin will breakout. Often within a day of that I'll have a the first signs of a cold or infection. Or sometimes it happens just as I recover from a cold, just when I start to feel well again. 

• Posted

I had hives and angio-edema all over my body for 4 months. Then I had an acute appendicitis, had my appendix removed, and I have not had a single hive since. This was 3 weeks ago and I dare not hope that the urticaria is gone. Since I also switched to a new ant-histamine (desloratadine) just after my appendectomy, it is also possible that I am finally responding to an anti-histamine.

Have you gotten any urticaria since your appendectomy? Have there been any new events in your story?

• Posted

About a month ago, started to experience allergy like symptoms including hives and face swelling . Three weeks ago ended up in hospital as face swelled up like crazy and intense chest pressure with some abdominal discomfort. They treated me for allergic reaction. was told to stay on zyrtek, take prednisone if needed and was given an epipen. Continued to swell and itch if i didnt take allergy medicine. A week ago i started to experience abdominal pain that was sharper, on right side. Apparently my appendix had ruptured. Being treated with antibiotics in hospital. Its been 3 days ans no more swelling or hives.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.