Chronic Back Pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey everyone!  I'm 23 and have been suffering from chronic back pain for several years.  I've spoke to my doctor on several occasions regarding this.  He wouldn't give me anything to take for the pain but instead sent me for a massage to see if that would help.  Once there the masseuse told me she recommended I go see a chiropractor as to her it seemed like my hips weren't in line.  So I followed her recommendation and went to the chiropractor.  Since then, he told me that it was indeed that my hips were more or less 'squish', which could be due to one leg being shorter then the other or it could be because of bad posture.  So I went every week for a couple months and it seemed like my back pain was gone.  A week after the chiropractor give me the all go and said I didn't need to go back and see him, the pain came back. And since then it's been a daily struggle dealing with this pain.  This pain can be excruiating at times, and then other times it just seems like a dull ache, but it is ALWAYS there.  If I'm going on a trip and need to be sat in a vehicle for even only a couple hour drive, my back is killing me! The only relief I find at times is essentially 'cracking' my back, I turn side to side and the cracking does not sound healthy, as well as just bending to the left and right it does the same thing.  I know it's not healthy, but it's the only thing I can go on right now that actually reliefs some of the pressure.  Any suggestions on what could help this pain besides seeing a chiropractor every week for the rest of my life?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Number one I see nothing wrong with turning your body so that it cracks. I'm not recommending you have anyone else to do this to you other than perhaps a chiropractor but there's nothing unhealthy for you to do it to yourself. Secondly seeing chiropractor once a week for the rest of your life is far better than starting on opiates. I speak from experience because I'm in my 13th year of back pain and my pain is extreme so I have to be on opiates. I have been on opiates for most of that 13 years. But before starting the opiates I tried every other option available to me at the time and none of them worked. I still try options as they become available. Other options you can try is phyical therapy and you might try seeing a pain management doctor. He can help control your pain thru epidural injections and other treatments. But in today's environment there is currently a battle going on over opiates. The battles is to make laws to save the addicts but in doing so these laws they are passing are hurting those of us who must take them for chronic pain. So I would recommend that you not get on them except as a last resort. Regardless they should always be a last resort.

• Posted

My doc told me cracking my back was unhealthy as it can lead to arthritis and stuff. And i'm not looking for any addictive pain killers, just something over the counter I could get at a store, like Walmart.  I've tried several back pain meds, like tylenol and advil, but they don't work.

• Posted

Have you been checkedfor osteomalaccia, this is due to a Vit D deficiency and anaemia. Both conditions can cause back pain, joint and muscle pain.

These need exploring.

• Posted

Of course I'm no doctor and I don't want to say something against your doctor but to me it sounds like they say cracking your knuckles will make you have arthritis in your knuckles. But if your doctor says so then you have to go by what he says. I will tell you what I used the first year my back started giving me trouble but I want to caution you on how much you take. I used Aleve and it worked for me quite well. Unfortunately I used it twice a day for a year and it ended up giving me acid reflux. So I don't recommend you use it long term. But it does do quite well for back pain or pain in general because it reduces inflammation and controls pain. Another one you might try that I use for headache and neck pain is Excedrin Migraine. But the directions say you can only take it once a day. You can only take it the one time and day. It's ingredients are aspirin which is for inflammation, Tylenol which is a pain reliever and caffeine which is what gives it a little kick to make it all work better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.