Chronic back pain caused by congenital spinal stenosis. I need help relating to my pain medication.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Currently I am on 400 mg of tramadol daily. This use to reduce my pain significantly to where I could work and function some what normally. Now this no longer works. My pain is not being controlled. Three weeks ago i went to doctors for my medicine and he said he wanted me to cut down to 100 mg daily. I asked why he wanted to reduce it when I was in more pain than ever. He then told me that he thought I was addicted. He asked me if I thought I was. My reply was no I did not fit the criteria. I was chemically dependent on it and did have withdrawals if I went with out the medication. However I do not take more than my allowed dosage . I live a normal life etc. I then said I had no problem coming off of it if he could refer me for some other therapies to help with the pain while coming off of them. Things like injections physical therapy etc possibly try another antidepressant etc. He said sure we can do that. My problem is this I have a degenerative problem and from what I've read it won't get better and surgery has left more people unhappy than happy. So chronic pain is here to stay. What can I do to get the right help and doctor who can work with me to control my pain. Not meet me for the first time and in two min suggest I'm an addict and dismiss my pain concerns. When I lived in America at least I was treated with respect and helped. I use to be on much stronger pain killers such as fentanyl patches, morphine, norco and others. Not all at the same time mind you. So being on tramadol I feel I have stepped down to a "lighter" pain medicine. No surprise I need something stronger. So I would greatly appreciate any advice as to what do I do next. How do I get the help and pain relief I need when my brand new gp said he thought I was addicted. I fear if I don't shut up and bend to his will he will label me and red flag me so to speak. I also fear that I will have to continue on trying to work and raise three kids in excruciating pain constantly. Please help..... Thank you in advance

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sarah

I'm so sorry to hear about your unsympathetic Doctor. He really is not there to judge you full stop. He is supposed to help in a way that works best for you his patient. Yes Tramadol is addictive, as are in fact a great deal if pain control meds. My advice right now is to find a better Doctor.

Let us know how you get on.

Take Care

Anna

• Posted

Thanks for your kind words I am not sure how I will go about finding another doctor as I just switched gp practices. You have to see a doctor in your area on the NHS so yeah...hopefully he will refer me and I can get proper help that way. Xx
  • Posted

Hi Sarah i know how you feel,I have a same problem in Sweden,doctors here are really bad.

I bought tramadol 200 mg on black market now,and that is how I live now,because I have neck problem in 6 years after a car accident,but Doctors don't care! So if you want to buy some I can help you.

Best regards Iggy.

We can live without doctors to!

• Posted

Thanks iggy appreciate the message. Sorry your a fellow pain sufferer too. Stinks being in our situation. Xx
    • Posted

And I was in the war down in Balkan 1994 and have a little posttraumatic stress and this car accident 2010 did this to my neck and the only thing I can take for pain is Tramadol,I'm allergic to anti-inflammatory tablets like dyklofenak ect... and paracetamol I eat like popcorn,so only thing that helps for stress and pain is tram,n doctors don't care!

• Posted

Well I've been doing a lot of research on tramadol and it's effects and I am super angry I was ever put on it. Because if the doctor had read my history and asked a few important questions he should have put me on a different painmedicine. Also should have added a nerve pain medicine and prob an antidepressant. Being on this horrible drug with excruciating pain leaves me in a terrible predicament. I'm not happy.

• Posted

Sarah, lyrica

is for nerve pain as is gabapentin.

• Posted

I am not sure which country you are in but if in Canada I would go to a pain clinic. They can help but you have to be clear and record your pain levels at their worst. My husband has a chronic injury and he had to take way too many perks as he built up a tolerance. He is now on perks and morphine. One can alternate medication so as to not building a tolerance. 

However my story is not so bright I appear to have an intolerance to ALL pain meds. So I have a big problem as I have a knee injury but since coming off Tramadol Months ago. I have almost all the symptoms of lyme disease. I thought at first it was the Tramadol withdrawal but it is so long now I cannot believe it is still withdrawal. 

I would add my husband tried tramadol and it did not agree with him and as he has a high tolerance for all narcotics this just proves how bad tramadol can be. I stopped taking Tramadol at the beginning of June and now it is October.

If one pain clinic is bad ask to be referred to another or another doctor. One doctor my husband had was terrible another was good!

• Posted

Hi Sarah, sorry to say when I lived in the uk my doctors thought I was putting the pain on,gave me all sorts and in the end I can't remember what it was but my partner took me for a walk to help to get it out of my system. I thought the drs in the uk were very unkind and were not interested. I found physio no good at all.

I am now in Spain and what a difference the drs are. Cutting it short I have spinal stenosis, osteoporosis and 3 prolapsed discs

The watchdog for drugs is very strict even here and my pain manager sees 80/ odd patients in a morning after his other rounds.

When I arrived here there couldn't be anyone more in pain and this was after decompression in Warrington that I paid for. To stand at the police station to get my health paper I honestly was at screaming pitch and this was for 3 days. I then had to go to the towns Dr and she referred me to the hospital ...all this took 6 months so you can guess how I felt.

This is how I live......

Try this pazital. This tablet contains just 38%tramadol and the rest is paracetamol and with this I have lyrica which I know has a reputation like other pain killers but what else can you do!!! It might not be for you but I have found it a lifesaver as they won't operate, they say its too dangerous. But they say they will op if I am determined but I can cope with what i take

This is how I survive

I take first thing in the morning 1 lyrica and 2 tramadol I have problems with swallowing so sometimes i take half a banana with a drink. Next, after you take the tablets, get on getting ready for work or whatever, the tablets work better this way or do a bit of exercise like yoga. If you are interested in exercise I can tell you whast I do but afraid it only sometimes works.

Lunchtime about 1\2ish take the same and then take 2 lyrica asnd 2 pazital at bedtime.

This is UNDER the prescribed amount you can take and if at any time you are not getting anywhere with the pain take 1 lyrics + 2 pazital but be careful dont take this emergency dose a couple of hours either way from the normal dose time...this odd one out dose is only taken if I am absolutely beyond it all. you can buy Pazital over the counter but Lyrics is v expensive. Whatever we take it has to be something like this. Gabapentin is v similar to lyrics and pregabalin is not prescribed any more.

You can also have a cortisone injection 4 times a year. Can I ask is your pain sciatica. If it is and you are interested I can give you some exercises. Just two or three are ok One thing I have learnt, injections too sometimes dont work. But if you know where the pain is, press where you feel the pain and when you go to the Dr for an injection tell him where it is ..sometimes i mark with a pen.

Today for example.....I had my usual dose at 7 in the morning. The town where I live was celebrating Valencia Day until 4 this morning. I was really beyond anything and the band stopped and i slept till 7 when I took my first dose. I can tell you that they work quicker if you move about, make yourself a cup of tea, wash up just for about 10 minutes to get them into your system. You should be ok until your next 2 pazital and Lyrica The next dose is at ish 10 is and this one is 2 Lyrica and 2. pazital. and then we are back to thee morning dose. In an emergency you can take 1 lyrica and 2 pazital. It helps if someone is with you to get used to the doses.

If your problem is in yr thigh like mine is I never lie on th side that is painful.

I did survive the extra dose today. I had walked round Valencia for 5 hours so I really needed it. Two things I do exercise wise is yoga, the cat is good and you can sit with your head between your legs. Not elegant but good and i discovered the other day is stand facing the wall and put your foot on the wall as high as you can get it without falling over. Then press on your leg. It should be painful but does help eith the pain. Spine heakth has a lot of exercises you can do for sciatica

However if yr pain goes down yr leg or foot that is when I change my dr!!!

Oh I forgot, if you are at home a hot water bottle on the pain is fantastic.

Let me know how you get on and ask me questions.

Yes today has been a sh**y day for me. I did take my extra dose in the afternoon and am having an early night. I love Valencia but sometimes it doesn't like me!!

• Posted

Hello Enna, I suffer with chronic pain have Spinal Stenosis, which affects my right leg.  I really felt for you, reading your notes, but you say that yoga helps you, I thought this was something I should keep away from.  I don't do anything really apart from short walks, I can only walk about 50 mts then need to sit down, so reading you walked for a day gave me such inspiration.

I am coming off Tramadol and taking Gabapentin, still in pain though, I am wishing the Gabapentin will take the pain away.  Can you help me in any way,

Best wishes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.