Chronic back pain: zapain codeine then Butrana 5 patch

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have multiple fractures in my spine: T11 and T12 area.

For several months i have been taking codeine phosphate 30mg. But recently was prescribed a patch: BuTrans 5 buprenorphine.

Well, I had only had the patch on for 29 hours but had to remove it. Because it made me feel so ill!

nauseous, depressed, runny nose, cough, chest pains and a feeling of being out of it - zombie!

So, I am now back taking the co-codemol 4 times a day but it doesnt completely remove the pain and i still feel a bit sick...

My question:

is there a patch that is better than BuTrans 5, one with less side effects?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hello kingfisher, as far as I know the 2 types of pain patches are buprenorphine & fentanyl (by various names/brands) very strong meds that can be hard to get the dosage right (being in patch form), definately not for some people, as they tend to come with a lot of side effects(as you know firsthand) it is designed to last for extended periods(so do the side effects even after you remove it) but as it clears your system you will feel better.... there are SR (sustained release) oral meds(of course they don't last as long as a patch but, the side effects should be different/less severe) SR keeps pain control more consistent (avoiding fluctuation in your pain)& preventing break-through pain...people panic when they hear oxycodone, morphine & opioids they hear about with addiction but, ALL opioids have that risk....DOSAGE is the key component, there are lower doses of those meds that can help. I was prescribed oxycodone for chronic pain but, it gives you the high feeling in addition to treating pain, I had a family to care for, I couldn't be buzzed, I asked for something different, so my Dr. started me on morphine sulfate SR, you can get it in as low as 15mg tablets (depending where you live it may have various names/brands, I use the drug name) other opioids come in SR as well...tell your Dr. about side effects from patch, ask if there is an alternative available, if you can have your pain corrected with surgery & etc...be aware you may become addicted to the meds, even if you use them for pain & as prescribed, you may have to wean off them gradually, if it is permanent you may want to consider a pain management clinic, finding proper pain relief can be trial & error but, it sounds like your Dr. is willing to help, so hopefully together you can find that balance(it controls enough pain, so you can function without crazy side effects) Best Wishes & Take Care💕🍀☮

• Posted

It depends on how often these health problems last, I do not believe it is the patches which are causing these issues.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.