Chronic backache causes by hip arthritis

Posted , 4 users are following.

Has anyone else experienced hip arthritis that also gives you low back pain. I am 70 years old and have hip arthritis with all the accompanying groin pain etc. It seems to be affecting my back too. The longer I spend on my feet the more my back hurts. Anyone else had this problem?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Good morning soxy, Yes, I can relate to this, I was diagnosed with arthritis age 49, though think it had been going on for some time before that, I had surgery for a labral tear in my right hip, the surgeon at the time said he would see me in 10 years for full hip replacement, however approx 3 years ago pain exacerbated, I was passed from spinal to orthopaedic, MRI showed arthritis in the spine, orthopaedic confirmed arthritis in both hips, but were saying pain was from the spine, however I eventually had first hip replaced in Nov 2017 & second hip replaced in March 2018, the awful groin pain has gone, and other pains which I now know were related to the hips, ie moving leg wrong way. I have seen my orthopaedic consultant recently, he thinks my remaining back pain is due to severity of arthritis in my spine, & I will probably need treatment for that at some stage. Having said all of this I am pleased I went through the surgery for hip replacement, my quality of life has improved. I am a nurse & practise complementary therapy myself , I tried massage, accupuncture physiotherapy, TENS, I have to say none of them were effective, just lightened my purse a lot !!. I hope this helps & that you can get some support with your pain.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply JULIE. You probably have more problems than me but i feel that when i can get my hip replaced things will improve. Like you I have tried, and am still trying loads of things, and it surely does hurt the po ket without seeming to do much good. Tens machines and tablets for me im afraid until i can get something done.

• Posted

Hi Soxy, I HAVE ARTHRITIS IN BOTH HIPS AND HAVE EXACTLY SAME AS YOU. GROIN PAIN AND LOW BACK PAIN .I AM 76. ALL I DO IS TAKE PAINKILLERS .I CAN'T WALK FAR AS PAIN START'S ME LIMPING.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply Valerie. I am in the same state as you, although i have had one hip replaced three years ago. I have started to take steps, via the doctor, to see someone with regard to having my other one done. Have awful groin pain and low back pain. My life at the moment revolves around sitting in a chair or lying down and taking painkillers. I am also limping like mad and using a stick. I hope you have been to your local GP and started off the proceedure to have your hips replaced. Going on with all this pain is just not on!

• Posted

hi I constantly have lower back problems due to my hip , I already had my right hip replaced and need left one done

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.