CHRONIC BACTERIAL PROSTATITIS and BLOOD PRESSURE SPIKING

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been dealing with chronic bacterial prostatitis for nearly four years off and on. I take the typical antibiotics, Bactrim, Cipro or Levaquin. They usually help and then within a few weeks after stopping them I get sick again. I'd like to ask about your symptoms. I get sick like I have the flu. I get chills, urinating a lot and almost total retention. But I self cathe. Many times I'll get a low grade headache for about a week before I get full blown sick. It's usually the precursor. The thing that concerns me is that typically on day one or the start of this episode, my blood pressure will spike and lasts about an hour. It's in the range of 200/70 and normally my bp is in the 120/60 numbers. Does anyone else have these blood pressure spikes and what do you do for it. I don't think I've ever had a spike like these that's not immediately followed by prostatitis. My urologist says it's the immune system going in overdrive from the immediate bacterial load. I'm not a doctor. I don't know. Any comments would be appreciated.

Thank you and I wish you all good health.

Carl

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I trust that you are aware of the potential long term effects of Cipro and Fluoroquinolones. Both British and American doctors have had warnings about prescribing them and many members here including myself are suffering the effect of them.

There is a Forum on this site about them started by the Moderator.

• Posted

Hi Carl, I had CBP for several years and would get infections so bad I would end up in the ER with retention. I would average about 4 per year ( not much of a life) and all the uro would say is, "you need a TURP" my retention never seemed to be more than 30 or 40 cc until I got a full blown infection, then it would spike to several hundred cc. I've been infection free (knock on wood) for almost 2 years after I had the UroLift and started taking 15mg daily zinc and 3000 mg pumpkin seed oil. Not sure which or all helped but I'm staying with this. Hope you sort it out soon............Billy

• Posted

I have been dealing with chronic prostatitis for 25 years and it has been getting worse over time probably due to growth of the prostate. My prostate is now 76cc. I don't know what it was 25 years ago. I have been on all kinds of antibiotics over the years. I stopped taking fluoroquinolones because of bad reactions. Just recently I tried the combination of fosfomycin and doxycycline. Together they work better than doxycyline alone or bactrim alone. In any event none of the antibiotics ever fully worked. They simply lessen the intensity when I get flareups. I frequently pee blood when I get flareups. I'm in the US and most insurances including medicare won't cover fosfomycin. In the US a 3 week supply costs $700. I got it with a prescription from my Doctor online from Canada for $180.

I have tried almost everything nonsurgical over the years only to limited avail.

In retrospect I should have had surgery of some kind probably 20 years ago or so. Of course back then we didn't have the options we have today. Back then I probably would have gone with a simple prostatectomy. I finally have decided to get Holep next month. Hopefully it will help. My Dr said he has had a handfull of chronic prostatitis patients over the years who have experienced substantial relief after Holep.

Among the things that I have tried that have helped a little bit are:

low oxalate diet - calcium oxalate microcrystals could irritate lining of urinary tract.

super saw palmetto 360mg/day

quercetin

pygeum africanum

Pelvic floor self massage

zinc

Good luck. I feel for you and everyone else who suffers from this horrible debilitating condition.

• Posted

Did your Fluoroquinolone reactions go away ?

Mine did three times as I had always stopped them when tendon pain/tendonitis started after only a few days.

It is a drug though that can do damage that takes time to appear or lay dormant as I suspect in my case was later triggered on later occasions by Bisoprolol and later by clarithromycin.

I had recurring prostatitis over the years but not since having a Thulium/Holmium procedure (similar to Holep ) in 2013.

• Posted

My symptoms after taking fluoroquinolones did eventually disappear, but it has been many years since I last took them. I have known several people who have had achilles tendon ruptures due to them.

I also have had vitreol detachments in each eye at different times which both occured while I was on fluoroquinolones. I also noticed that my eye floaters would get much worse on them.

• Posted

You were very fortunate to escape so lightly compared to others on this and other Forums who were prescribed them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.