Chronic breathing issue; constant need to yawn for full breath

Posted , 3 users are following.

A few days ago, I was suddenly struck with the inability to breathe deeply. I have to constantly yawn for a deep, satisfying breath, but sometimes i cannot complete the yawn, and it causes me great chest pain and frustration. This has happened to me a few years back as well, out of the blue, and lasted for nearly 2 years until it suddenly disappeared. I spoke to my doctor about it over a video call and she said it sounded like allergies, and so she prescribed me medicine; but she told me if it didn't get better or got worse within 48 hours, she wanted me to physically come in so she could listen to my breathing. It got worse one night, so I went in. A doctor listened to my chest and told me my breathing was clear, but they wanted me to get tested for Covid as a precautionary measure, even though I am not sharing other symptoms (besides having the chills once one morning). No fever, blood pressure is great, no cough. I got tested yesterday, but no results yet. If it's not the virus, I am completely clueless as to what it is. I can barely eat because when I do, it makes my breathing x10 worse. And it is insanely difficult to fall asleep. I am terrified that what happened years ago is happening again, and that it's going to last for a long time. But this time it feels worse, I get dizzy from my yawning so much and from the chest pain it causes. It's never been diagnosed properly. I was given an inhaler years ago, but using it only made me feel as if my throat was closing even more. If anyone has any clue on what it could be, please let me know. I can't speak for long periods of time without needing to breathe. I am nervous that I will come back positive for Covid, but I also genuinely believe this is some form of anxiety, but I have never been diagnosed properly. It sometimes gets a lot better when I am distracted, like when I drove to the doctors and listened to music.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Edited

Hey there, I'm so sorry yo hear you're going through this because i know exactly how you feel. I've been suffering from this for 6 months and it started breaking me down mentally and emotionally. I went to two pulmonologists, allergies test, COVID test, wore a heart monitor for 3 days, did 2 EKGs, an echocardiogram, a chest x-ray, and multiple blood tests. While I "failed" the breathing tests (scored in line with people with asthma) the doctors were puzzled because I had no other symptoms. My allergies test came back negative aside from very low allergies to some pollens and trees, COVID was negative, and all other tests were clear. One pulmonologist said it was probably anxiety, my therapist completely disagreed, and the other pulmonologist said he wasn't sure, but both just gave me inhalers and prednisone (steroid for inflammation). Nothing was helping.

I saw on one of these threads that someone mentioned possible correlations with shortness of breath and asthma-like symptoms to acid reflux and GERD.

Since I've suffered from bad acid reflux for many years I decided to make a video appointment with a gastroenterologist. He said if heart and lungs are ruled out then yes, it can be acid/diet related. I've cut out all acidic foods and drinks, fried foods, and meat and dairy for the last week. The doctor also prescribed me GERD medication and a strong anti acid syrup that I take before meals. I haven't felt better in months!!

That is not to say this is the case with you. Just offering a possibility that I wasn't aware of before. Also, I've been trying to be mindful of my breathing and practicing the buteyko method that maybe you've seen mentioned here. If I didn't have anxiety before then I feel like the last 6 months definitely gave me anxiety after all the panicking and hunger for air. It's terrifying to feel your body can't don what it's naturally meant to.

• Posted

Interesting !! I don't think in my case it is GERD as i haven't changed the way I've eaten in a long time (even though i have been getting a bit of a burn from certain things when I didn't before). I used to be on Zoloft for my OCD, so if the Covid test comes back negative, I'm going to get back on it and see if it helps. I think it's underlying anxiety plus something else, but the doctors have never been able to help me 😕 I may try to make an appointment with a gastroenterologist. The doctors wanted to follow up either way after my Covid test but I'd rather not physically go to the doctors during these times.

• Posted

do you know if there's any over-the-counter meds for GERD or just acid reflux in that i could try ??

• Posted

There is Prilosec OTC you can try. As for your OCD, I had seen other people mention on these threads that this shortness of breath was a form of OCD and that doing the buteyko breathing really helped alleviate it.

• Posted

thank you !! I've had OCD for years now but this has only happened twice. But i just ate a good meal (it's usuallt difficult for me to eat when my breathing is bad but it's slowly getting better) and I actually do have heartburn right now, so now I'm thinking it may be GERD. LOL i will definitely look into prilosec otc. what was the exact GERD medication and anti-acid syrup you were prescribed if you don't mind my asking ?? Also again thank you so much for answering.

• Posted

You're very welcome! I know exactly what you mean about the difficulty eating with the shortness of breath. I really was the same way. It would take me forever to eat and it just wasn't enjoyable. I would have to wait to get that satisfying breath constantly before chewing and swallowing. It really started breaking me down since it was interfering with every aspect of my day.

Try eating smaller meals multiple times a day instead of a few large meals so it's easier on your stomach. Keep it bland, no spices, no garlic, no onions, no fried foods and especially avoid high acids like tomatoes. Super hard, I know.

My doctor prescribed me 40mg of Omeprazole once a day in the morning 30 minutes before breakfast, and 10ml of almacon 2-3 times a day before lunch, dinner, and bedtime.

I hope you can nail down what the cause of it is!

• Posted

By the way, i tried the breathing method and it only had me struggling for more air. Breathing exercises never work for me, they only ever make things worse. And i feel so hopeless because all the comments are people who the method has worked for. 😕

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.