Chronic burning throat with LPR acid reflux

Posted , 11 users are following.

hey, I’m currently sat here so fed up needing some help! 

Ive had chronic LPR for 3 years and no idea why! It just started suddenly and I’ve been suffering since.  My throat feels dry and burnt constantly and I can’t get any relief. I’ve been on lasoprazole 30mg twice daily for 3 years and Gaviscon after EVERYTHING  I eat and drink but it’s still always there burning away making me feel so low.  Just wondering if anyone has any useful advice for helping with the throat symptoms? 

Cheers 😭

4 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Carla. I started with normal heartburn and then 3 and a half years ago started to get pain in the left side of my throat which subsides and comes back. Now I get pain at the back of the throat which leaves me having to clear mucous away. I would have periods of no silent reflux and then 6 weeks later it comes back. I started drinking water with a PH of over 7.1 regularly and found it helped. Maybe give it a try, what have you got to lose? I hate living with this horrible disease, it takes over your life. 
    • Posted

Cheers for the reply.  I was looking at getting some alkaline drops for water. Do you use bottled alkaline or the drops? Just unsure what to buy.  My ears burn with it too ffs. It’s making me feel so crap. 

• Posted

I started with the drops, then started buying bottled water from amazon. The other thing I would suggest is to not eat anything that comes in a jar because of its high acidic levels, avoid fruits such as lemons, oranges etc, coke, caffeine and fatty foods. You need to try and keep you’re body in an alkaline state, it’s hard work at times, as with you there’s no reason why i should be getting this, I’m not exactly overweight lol! all the tests I’ve had always come back fine, it’s a mystery. All I know is no PPI means awful heartburn, On PPI’s I get a sore throat, feel like I can’t bloody win. 
  • Posted

By the way 60mg of lansoprezole is an extremely high dose of PPI. Try the things I’ve mentioned and see if you can get on 30mg. I have heard that pepsin which comes from reflux which is what breaks down meat is a cause for sore throats. Apparently it can lay dormant until you eat something acidic and then it activates and starts to try and break down throat tissue. However alkaline water is supposed to kill off pepsin because it can’t survive the non acidic environment. 

Hope ght helps. 

• Posted

I understand exactly how you feel. I have been battling this monster for the past 6 months and here is what I've found that works:

One of the most important things to do is to believe that you will get better. I went through a period where I felt like I was going to have to suffer for the rest of my life and I kept getting worse and worse. 

Order the Reza Band - this has been my biggest lifesaver. Pricey, but worth every penny!

Nexium - 40 mg in the morning - been doing this for almost 3 months - pretty soon I will be on 20 mg a day and then I'm hoping after a month or two to be taking papaya digestive enzymes in place of Nexium. 

Hydroxyzine - 25 mg at night for sleep (if you are having trouble sleeping)

Cold, soft foods are best to help heal the damage.

Graham crackers, rice cakes, Lay's potato chips (I know these are hard crunchy foods, but they helped me for some reason. I just need to remember to chew them well.)

Take a 20 ml dose of Mylanta after lunch. Mylanta works better than Gaviscon in my opinion.

Mineral Spring Alkaline water - the Eternal brand is my favorite 

Slim fast (can't take vitamin pills, so I've been drinking the vanilla cream - one in the morning). I feel that the vitamins and nutrients in this shake are helping me recover faster.

I avoid all acidic and fatty foods - including butter and margarine

Replace mint toothpaste with bubblegum toothpaste 

Arm and Hammer Instant Relief for Everyday Congestion (Simply Saline) is good to help with the sinuses. I found my sinuses were affected as well.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply! 

I’ll definitely take your advice. I’ll try anything it’s so bad.  I think milk is causing a lot of problems for me. I have almond milk mostly but if I have any products with milk added like slimfast I get it really bad 😭.  I’ve just tried a protein shake and feel like my tongues on fire!  Think I’ll just have to eliminate  foods with milk in and see how I go. It just never ends x

• Posted

Hi Adelina34. Just wondering about the Reza Band - most of my throat burning issues seem to be during the day, gradually getting worse til bedtime when fortunately I have no problem sleeping. I understand that the Reza Band is worn at night - do you think it is worth it if my symptoms are during the day? Thanks.
    • Posted

Hi GeordieM,

I just saw this, yes the Reza Band is worth it whether you have symptoms during the day or night. I found myself wearing it for most of the day when I was dealing with this (only took it off while eating and taking a shower).

I must say that I have not had any burning issues at all for the past two years after completing the Reza Band treatment. My throat issues cleared up within about two months after starting the Reza Band treatment.

• Posted

I am SO GLAD I found this thread.  I was about to give up.  I’ve been dealing with this about 9 months ago.  I was scared to death I had something really bad going on back there.  I am going to try all the suggestions you had.  I never thought about the alkaline water!  My pain is just on the left side and I usually have ear pain as well.  I think these stomach issues are related to hormone fluctuations.

• Posted

hello carlabear17 as your LPR improved ?? ive got same symptoms as you, also on lanzaprazole 30mg twice aday but doesnt seem to be helping,really getting me down!! had a camera down throat about a year and half ago and got all clear, just seen a raw throat under breast plate, but it seems to be getting worse, cant stop thinking about it☹

• Edited

Hi Carla, are you still around by chance? I was wondering if you ever resolved your throat issues. I have burning in my left lower throat and along my left side tongue. Also have lump in my throat or sensation of a hairball or something prickly low down in my throat. All of my symptoms going on 5 months now and nothing is helping... ive been on omeprazole, alkaline diet.. also get burning deep in my left ear. Could this all be reflux? I've had camera up nose down throat, ultrasound, ct scan. Nothing has come up but my anxiety tells me it must be something sinister like throat cancer or tonsil cancer being missed. Especially when the reflux treatment doesnt seem to be helping at all. Please help... If you aren't here, please anybody answer! Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.