Chronic BV

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi everyone. I have been suffering from this dreadful chronic bacterial vaginosis for over two years now. When it first started, my symtoms were very strong. I had a fishy odor and (Warning, TMI) it would seap through some of my clothing making me smell it all the time. The discharge was also milky looking and a whitish/yellow. Anyways, I was treated immediately and my GYN initially prescribed me the oral antibiotic Flagyl. The Flagyl antibiotic did correct my symptoms, however as soon as the antibiotic was finished and I started to have sex again I would notice this smell every time after. Eventually after 2-3 GYN visits getting the same antibiotic prescribed, I treated myself with Monastat vaginally. This also masked my symptoms for a period of time, but it kept coming back. My boyfriend and I would have sex like any other couple. He had only finished inside me a couple times before, and I had this problem well in advance. Certainly him finishing inside me didn't help considering it upset the PH balance even more. Eventually my GYN prescribed me Metrogel. Initially I was told to insert it vaginally once a day for 5 days. This eliminated my symptoms for a long period of time, however I still managed to end up with BV again. I am currently inserting Metrogel vaginally twice a week for 6 months. On top of the Metrogel I used an over the counter probiotic pill once daily with the intent of gaining back good bacteria to overrule the bad. My GYN claims that if I use it enough it could completely eliminate BV from my system. As of right now, I have sex about twice a week. My boyfriend and I have a lot of sex when we're with each other (we share a bit of a distance between our towns) and while taking Metrogel I never have any of the BV symptoms. The problem is about a day or two after I have sex with my boyfriend and don't insert the gel, then the symptoms immediately return. I get a goopy, cottage cheese looking discharge due to the gel, it's completely normal. What goes up must come down. And I tend to spread out when I use the gel in that week based on when I know I'll be seeing my boyfriend so that hopefully all the gel comes out with my discharge. Excuse my ranting, but this is by far the worst thing I have ever dealt with. In the past year I've researched everything to figure out what causes it. I don't use any scented soaps in that area, I've never douched, I wipe front to back, I wear cotton underwear and I change them on a daily basis, etc. I've had my boyfriend tested, I've been tested. It's just a hopeless and continuous cycle that I can't take any longer. I've come to the conclusion that the primary cause could be the use of our saliva during sex. A little while ago, my boyfriend started to spit in my when we preform oral. I told him that he can't spit in me because his mouth bacteria is going to clash with my vaginal bacteria and ultimately increase my bacterial vaginosis symptoms. I don't want to completely rid of oral. Oral is very important when it comes to a successful sex life in my opinion, and I want to be able to have a normal sex life with oral. I am so desperate right now for some answers and soon enough I will have to return to the GYN after I finish my last round of Metrogel, even though just recently I noticed the symptoms again after going a couple days after sex without using the gel. I don't know what I'm going to be told, but I certainly do not want to live a sex life where I have to insert a gel every time after. I really encourage your input and any other suggestions you have. I've done everything to fix this reoccurring problem without harming my vagina through stuff I know will make it worse such as antibiotics and douches. Anyways, thank you for listening, and for those of you suffering from this same problem, you have my support and I hope everything works out of you. 😊

2 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

You must not have sex while ur doing this, wait until BV is gone completely. When u feel it's gone buy a PH scale test at ur drug store to find out if your BV free.

• Posted

Hello! First off, I have been suffering from bv for a little over two years and I feel like your TMI is exactly like my TMI lol. That said, having bv for a few months is different than years of recurring bv! Here's why; I have been doing some research (endless nights of reading case studies!) and a big thing I've learned is that the bacteria that causes recurring bv is tough! It builds a biofilm on the walls of our vagina and acts as a shield to good bacteria. It literally creates an environment that is compatible with bad bacteria so the good bacteria can't thrive....which explains why we have packed our bodies full of probiotics to have no results. The prescription drugs we get (Flagyl, Metrogel) from our doctor does not remove the biofilm. By the way, I did the twice weekly for 6 months cycle too and it didn't go away. The study I read described the meds like making a couple bullet holes in the biofilm but no success at killing it. This information irritated me! I mean, look at all our technology and cures for diseases.....SO MANY women suffer from bv...in my opinion its an epidemic. I want to cut my vagina out lol. I'm married with 4 kids (39yes old, non smoker, no drugs, healthy weight and physical activity) and never had anything wrong with my vagina.

I'm desperate, considering all I have learned about vaginal oh, acidic vs alkaline (seman is alkaline, our blood is alkaline but our vaginas, stomachs are acidic!) here's what I am trying; in addition to the regular stuff (cotton panties, no tight jeans, no liners, no seman, no soap, take probiotics, limit sugar and processed foods bla bla bla) I want to change my vaginal environment to fight the biofilm off so 5 days ago I started drinking a tbs or 2 of raw, unfiltered, unpasteurized vinegar (Bragg at Safeway $5), yesterday I added unrefined solid coconut oil (Dr. Bronner's Safeway $10) to my routine. I tried to sorta push a ball of it up there but it melted fast so I need to buy some type of applicators....today I'm going to buy a box of tampons and use the applicators! Lol (I use pads for my periods, I have for about 20 years) the coconut is acidic after it is made into oil and it keeps the odor away....I will do all this before bed because the oil coming out is no fun. Better than the discharge thought!! I plan to visit a good supplement store and browse the vaginal health section....after my second child I had chronic hemorrhoids for 2 months and then fissures started, doctor just gave pain meds but I wanted a remedy! So, out of desperation I went to a supplement store and the woman told me take fish oil! BAM 3 days later, all healed up. Fish oil has healing properties....who knew?! I want a remedy for bv, so I can be normal again. I will keep you posted. Most threads are so old, its great to have a current one.

• Posted

^^^^^^I'm so sorry.....I forgot to say that I put the tbs or 2 of vinegar in about 6 oz of warm water and then drink it down at once. Doesn't taste good but its good for you in all kinds of ways.

• Posted

Hi, thank you for sharing this story.  I got my first infection last summer and since then it's come back four times.  I have another appointment next week with my doctor, I really don't know what to ask or say, I hate taking antibiotics and they don't seem to help.  I've tried metrogel too. I knew practically nothing about bv before this, Now I'm reading about so many women who've had it for years and it's so worrying, the symptoms are really awful and embarrasing, and yeah it makes sex really hard...

• Posted

My story sounds like everyone's on here. I've had it on and off for about five years. If your still having issues this is what worked for me. Get the "water works natural vaginal therapy"  You use it in the shower. You will thank me,!!! It takes away the smell and the itch. Best thing I ever bought. There are YouTube videos about it from a Dr. Oz show lol.  I no longer worry about smell during sex. I feel your pain ladies!! 

• Posted

The problem is your boyfriend. He is giving you the BV. Constant use of antibiotics is going to hurt you in the end. There is currently NO TEST for men to indicate if they have the infection that cause you to get BV. The doctor would test him for syphilis, Gono, tric, but not for infections. So men get to walk around and feel like they are NOT the cause of your problem. You know it is him. Doctors should automatically treat the men, but they don’t. They are still very ignorant and have antiquated ideas that it is strictly a femal issue! In the middle of the day, take a good wiff of your boyfriend’s penis. Does it have a slight odor to it? Is it funky or smell similar to your V? Look at his face. Do you notice acne like bumps on it. They can also be red with no pustules. He is infecting you. Insist that a doctor treat him with a round of antibiotics, AT THE SAME TIME, you start you treatment. I guarantee that you will be BV free! But I must warn you, if he is sleeping around, and the person he is sleeping with, doesn’t get treatment, you will be on the cycle of infecting one another. 
  • Posted

I'm 39and I've bv since I was 18. I've treated it repeatedly and it always comes back. Even when I'm not sexually active. Its horrible and so hate it. When I do have sex I feel like my partner can smell me. My kids have noticed the smell of they've gone in the bathroom after me. sad

• Posted

Hi! Did the water and lemon work for you? I feel like I am having the same problem and I am tired of getting prescribed an antibiotic every time and then as soon as I have sex , weeks later it comes back. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.