Chronic constipation

Posted , 10 users are following.

for the past 3 weeks I have been suffering from very bad constipation. I cannot fully empty my bowels and have to pull the faeces out left in my rectum. I have tried Fybogel but the pain cramps and flatulence made my condition worse. Senna is not helping either, I am gluten wheat and lactose intolerant and now cannot digest sucrose. Any help anyone can give me.

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Marion. Do you drink plenty of water, also if you can tolerate kiwi fruit and small orange, they really help me to go, don't

Over do the fruit, one of each per day. Do you eat veg, again not too

Much.

Do you exercise, it can help as well. I know how you feel I used to be

Constipated all the time, still are occasionally, but not as much since

Eating kiwi and orange. I am waiting for a celiac test in 3weeks.

Hope I have helped in some way, let me know how you get on.

Hope you feel better soon.

Turkey

• Posted

Ask your doctor about Movicol. I was given it when I had IBS, which thankfully I don't anymore. You need to have plenty of fresh fruit, green veg and drink plenty of water.
    • Posted

Thanks for your help. I cannot take Movicol as it contains Lactose and I am lactose intolerant. I am seeing the Dr this week again.
    • Posted

I cannot take Movicol as it has lactose in it and I am lactose intolerant.  I am going to the doctors again Thursday.  I have also made an appointment to see a nutritionist and having a reflexology session next week.
  • Posted

Have you been to see the doctor,? Understand how you feel as been inthat situation many times.

Only after my colonoscopy did it start clearing up.

As already said plenty of water helps keep the system flowing.

Depending on what you can or not eat, veg and fruit. Prunes are good or prune juice.

With intolerance to wheat, glueton and lactose it's making difficult for you , have the same as you only includes dairy as well.I take Docusate morning and evening,fybogel is now only if I need it.

Also take probiotics which are free from obtained from health store. But

Sort doctor's advice first. You may need to take MEDS on a permanent

Basis, maybe adjusting to your needs. But do consult with your doctor.

• Posted

I am experiencing these symptoms too horrible isn't it?

I have gallstones and am waiting to have my gallbladder removed.

Before I was diagnosed with gallstones one GP thought it might be IBS.

Not sure if this is still the case and I may have IBS as well as the gallstones.

My concern at the moment is to have my gallbladder removed as soon as possible (6 - 8 month waiting list) and see how I feel after that.

In the meantime I am on a low fat diet.

Hope this settles down for yu.

Take care

Sarah

• Posted

What helps me is to drink almond milk dairy free milk for constipation. Then eat some dark chocolote. Almond milk make me have diarahh so eat a candy bar of dark chocolote.
    • Posted

Thanks for this but I am on a Low Fat diet because of gallstones.

So certainly no dark chocolate!!

• Posted

Hi Marion

Gwen here again...please leave a post when you have been to the doctors as want to know how you are getting on. 

• Posted

Hi Marion, not saying you should do this, but, I was told by a Naturalist that my bowel movements were suppose to be the same shape and size as my intestines, and this is when I knew I had a problem. So she told me to start taking Probiotics, and eating right, now I go often everyday, and the bowl is fulled when I have a bowel movement. Check with your doctor 1st before taking any kind of herbs or meds.  But if he gives you the go ahead, make sure they come from a Profession Health Food Store or Herberlist.I really hope this helps you.  Be Blessed
    • Posted

Thank you for your help. Shall see what they say. I am also gluten wheat and dairy intolerant. On a previous visit the allergy clinic said I was sucrose intolerant and this last episode happened after I had eaten dairy free icecream which contained a high level of sugar. The next day I was woken up with excruciating pains and my bowels haven't been right since. Since then I have not eaten foods with sugar in, only naturally from fruit. Gp said there isn't a test for sucrose intolerant. She has now referred me to a Dietitian.
    • Posted

Hi Marion, I very seldom eat any surgar. I can't have dairy, or wheat (even tho sometimes when cooking for my family, it's in something), but other than that, I don't use it to put it in myself.  I use raw honey Organic, and I was just  informed to use green grass raw cheese if I wanted it. At first I was using goats cheese and almond milk, but that still causes mucus in my body, so I don't eat or drink any. There is a natural sugar that I got from the Health Food Store it's called Stevia, I really do not like it because it's too sweet for me, and an after taste, so this is why i use honey. There is one other natural sweetener that is all natural from plant base and it's called Xylitol, look it up to see if you can use that. I use it when i can afford it, it has no calories and it taste just like sugar. I stopped coffee, and drink green tea, and I drink Spellegrino and seltzer water, and boiled water only from the ice box when I run out of the others.  I never drink bottle water any more because too many things found in the water.  If I go to someone's house, I boil the water from the bottle and then add ice cubes in it only.  Got that also from my Naturalist over 13 years ago. Praying for your strength and recovery.  Jay 
  • Posted

Also Marion, everybody's body does not react to the same things. And I feel that herbs are much better than meds (in some cases), but Flax Seeds is another way of getting fiber and Chia seeds. They really put you on regular and complete bowel movement.  Praying for your recovery. Be Blessed, Jay  
  • Posted

Hi,

Sorry to hear of your problems. I have exactly the same, I went to the doctors and they gave me some sachets you add to water called Laxido, these seem to help me and give me a bowel movement when I am severely constipated

• Posted

I was also given laxido. I needed them a few years ago when I was taking a lot of painkillers (which constipate you) because of osteo arthritis in my knee. 3 years ago I had a knee replacement which is now fine.

However, I am taking a lot of painkillers now because I have recently been diagnosed with gallstones and am waiting to have my gallbladder out. I have constipation but had completely forgotten that it may be to do with the painkillers. Thanks for reminding me of laxido I may try them again.

Sarah

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.