chronic constipation and difficulty swallowing

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been having chronic constipation for a year now, and have difficulty swallowing on top of it, which started a couple weeks of constipation. My bowel movements are really weird. Sometimes I have a sensation of going to the washroom then it stops a few minutes later. Other times, I would have to wait a while to have a bowel movement. Most of the times I feel there is still feces stuck in my rectum but no matter how much I push, it's still there. I had a colonoscopy, the result is normal.

As for difficulty swallowing, I always feel food get stuck on the way down. It would come down eventually. I burp a lot then I would feel some of the food got moved. Sometimes I burp, a few pieces of food would come back up. I went for barrium swallow, and motility test, which all showed normal.

Does anyone out there have the same problems? Please let me know if they would eventually go away or it's a condition I have to live with. Would it get worst? Thank-you so much!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kim, did you know if you have a hiatus hernia ? I have had acid reflux for a few years now , this can damage your throat and cause swallowing problems. An endoscopy would check for acid damage and a hernia although sometimes it slides back down and not show at the time. I have swallowing issues due to acid, mainly the feeling of a lump in throat. I also suffer bad constipation and think my hernia is part of the problem. Try again to get answers from your doctor, best wishes Frances

• Posted

Check for h. pylori, I just got diagnosed with this with an easy breathe test. I must have had this for many years: eventually it kicked in. 2 years on and off chronic constipation and stomach pain, now muscle/joint pain, can't sleep with sinus or pain.

Def. check for infection.

• Posted

How do you get tested for h.pylori? Do you ask your GP and they refer you to hospital?

• Posted

breathe test h pylori (breathe into a bag twice), then i did a endoscopy to check if it's still there, waiting for results, yes ask your GP for the breathe test

• Posted

and also my endoscopy is not perfect, stomach is a "little" inflammed. suspecting colon and intestinal severe inflammation

sometimes i feel like if i eat the perfect combo, it gets a lil better, hard to think when u r in constant pain

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.