Chronic constipation surgery for large bowels?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Ive been having bowel obstructions since i was very young and I will be 18 this month. It is very embarrassing and unhealthy. The doctors continue to put me on miralax and other stool softeners. They say in about 12 years my bowel will go back to normal size. I do not want to continue having this problem when the twenty’s are going to be my prime years. I feel as though I shouldn’t have to take Miralax every day for the rest of my life and with my schedule it’s hard to remember to take medication. Normally for this the doctors will give me an N/G tube which is a tube going from my nose into my stomach. They then pump high doses of miralax through the tube. The reasoning that this keeps going on is because my bowel is so large that the stool sits in it and because really hard and almost rock like. I know that people get surgeries that make their stomach smaller. The doctor folds their stomach in half and sews it (may be called a gastric bypass). I was wondering if there is anything like that but for bowels? If you have any information that can help me please reply, thank you. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Just wondering if you're a very weighty person as this would be an important aspect of the problem and probably one you have a lot of control over? 

• Posted

I weigh around 170 and I’m 5’2” I am getting a gym membership to work on that. 
  • Posted

Hi jeni74709

What is your diet like do you eat healthy food...no spicey acidic fried or junk food? ...if so change it to gluten free lactofree non-spicey or acidic and rubbish...take plenty of water..fish chicken some meat cooked in coconut oil veggies not too much broc sprouts or cabbage they can cause gas.....some fruit no citrus...yogurts with cultures read label...and probiotic tabs and plenty of water .....these changes will help to keep your stool soft....sometime we do have to help ourselves our docs can't eat for us..and changing your diet and helping yourself is better than meds and surgery i think you would agree.....of course your diet may be healthy in which case you need help from the medical profession...best wishes....

• Posted

I do eat mostly healthy but there is the occasional junk food thank you for the tips I will try them. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.