Chronic cough 10 weeks and anaemia

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have had a cough for 10 weeks the doctor said I have anaemia, will my iron tablets stop my cough?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Yes.

You need to work out why you are iron deficient to stop it recurring again.

If it's your periods then you will need to be on some form of iron supplementation until menopause.

• Posted

Hi Julie, 

I too have had a chronic cough for almost 4 months now. Last week I was diagnosed with anaemia. Hoping to start to get on my feet soon. 

• Posted

I am also very anemic, was diagnosed about 5 weeks ago, the coughing began before diagnoses, I have put it down to any type of exersion, obviously as your heart etc is having to work much harder at the moment that anything extra puts extra strain on everything hence the coughing (only my theory), I have been taking 750mgs iron suppliments daily, feel slightly better and the coughing isn't nearly as bad, so in a round about way the iron stops the cough by boosting iron levels in your blood, Again only my opinion as I haven't mentioned it to my GP it just makes sense.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.