Chronic cough and thoughts of Pulmonary Embolism

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've now come to the conclusion that I have Pulmonary Embolism and this chronic cough doesn't make me feel any better. I've had this cough for two weeks now and it's still here. It doesn't have any other symptoms besides coughing dry coughs. I've been thinking tat I have something serious. I've also checked my weight compared to a few weeks ago and noticed that I dropped 10 pounds. My chest has been hurting. The muscle and the actual lung to a degree and I'm afraid that I have a PE. I'm going to get it checked in the morning g but I've been worried for so long. I broke down and cried about it today. I haven't felt nice at all.

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Have you been on a really long air plane ride recently? Acroos the world? We are talking where you had to sit for 10 hours at least? Im guessing no. Heres a secret PE usually starts off as a DVT in NINETY percent of the cases then turns into a PE. You dont have it. You have a cough, post nasal drip or allergy or from indigestion. You can stop crying now. Fill a basin with hot water and throw a towel over your head and let the steam helo your sinuses. Do this three times a day for a solid week. You can add a little vicks vapor rub in there for a more intense steam experience to clear your nasal passages. I hooe your chest feels better im sure the coughing might have made it a bit sore ot the possiblpilty of a chest cold is coming on.Hopefully its all okay. Feel good. Let us know. 
    • Posted

I was on a long plane ride to get to germany. It was 9 hours but that was in the middle of may. Right now, I started having a burning pain in the middle of my chest. I really can't sleep.

I've had that dry cough for two weeks now. That's not normal. I've never had a cough like that. It comes and goes but lasts AL through the day.

• Posted

For the cough you can see the doctor and he will check that out for you. A burning in the chest area can be reflux or gerd and that can make a cough as well. I get a cough from that myself. You have the doctor look at it tomorrow.
    • Posted

Do you think maybe this can some effect from those anti depressant you took from your girlfriend? Maybe they give reflux or something as a side effect. Just a thought. Since you are seeing the doctor tommorrow maybe bring that up and you can ask for something to help you with anxiety too. I just remembered that convo. You know you had a big move and a lot of change go in these last few months.
    • Posted

I haven't taken any medication for the past week and a half. I only took the antidepressant for two days and I had the symptoms before this all hit.

• Posted

Having a dry cough actually is a big sign of a PE, I suffered a severe PE 3 months ago and Dry cough and chest pain was my 2 main symptoms.. I know this is 7 months old but others who search this need to know this information. 
    • Posted

It wasn't an embolism in the end. I had myself checked and there were no sign software it I was most likely just experiencing a type of stress related acid reflux/nasal drip. Drove me nuts. It went away eventually. I was happy about that.

The only thing that still floats around is my random muscle twitches.

• Posted

It might be GERD or something. I'm going through some similar symptoms (breathlessness, choking feeling, chest pain and discomfort) and am getting checked by a bunch of doctors to figure out what's going on. My doctor thinks it's something to do with my digestive system but is ruling out heart stuff first because of the chest pain and palpitations. My advice is try not to jump to the worst conclusion possible (so hard to do, I would know) and do your best to explain your symptoms to the doctor so he/she can come up with the best plan of action. Also, try to relax (really difficult when you feel like your health is one the line) because panicking won't help and will only cause more symptoms that are unrelated to whatever is going on with your health. Good luck and feel better!

• Posted

I was thinking that it was some type of esophagus problem. I have been having intenstinal issues ever since this all happened. 
  • Posted

The biggest problem you have is one common to all Anxiety sufferers, every niggle/ache/pain/cough or bodily sensation and you go into panic mode, honing in on it and imagining the worst case scenario.

Everyone gets coughs, ignited by one reason or another but rarely, and I emphasise rarely, for reasons that are of concern. Coughiing tenses the chest muscles, as does worrying about it, and thus causes the chest to constrict and ache.

Rapid weight loss is like as not due to you fearing you have a PE or something else  life threatening, honey. The fact that you are overly anxious, overloaded with fear, is apparent in the fact that you broke down and cried

Its good that you cried. Crying loosens the grip of tension

Now then

Dealing with Anxiety Disorder is not an easy journey. The worst mistake you can make is, if you get a slight illness,ie, cough, stomach/bowel problems,headache/earache, skin problems....whatever it is...never leap to the conclusion that it is something serious/ life-threatening. The chances are all is normal. The thing is you are not going to go through life without getting something or other from amongst the endless list of normal everyday maladies

I have no doubt that the GP will be able to confirm you are in no danger of a PE and that he will be able to prescribe something for your cough. Lisa is correct, acid reflux ( from which I suffer) produces burning sensation and  a horrible cough, especially at night when the body lays prone and horizontal in bed. I have two bricks under the bedhead legs to elevate the bed slightly so that I am not laid "flat " out

Also, look into buying a Neti Pot a natural means of clearing out the sinuses, also helpful for migraine sufferers such as myself, I might add smile

Let me know how you get on, okay?

• Posted

I do admit that I experience some type of bright feeling in my throat every once in a while. I've also been thinking that I've had sinus issues without realizing. Several days ago, I had severe headaches on the top of my eyebrow and aches on my cheek. They've all seemed to be placed around Sinuses. I haven't really had an idea for it, but that's my thought. The other reason why I say this is that sometimes, I have a feeling that I'm feeling a blood type pressure feeling in my nose every once in a while when I breathe through my nose. I don't like that at all. I also started getting a warm feeling of some type running from my sinus into my throat. Started happening a couple of days ago. I'm beginning to think that I may have an infection of some sort. 

Another reason why I say this is because I had a pain in my neck that pulsed every once in a while and it made my neck feel bad randomly. It also caused me to have a thick throat feeling and I also had the problem of having a small pain in my chest. All of these symptoms about the neck have seemed to diminish exponentially. I get some pains there but not anything worth noting. It seems to have cleared up some. Now the right side of my throat is starting up. 

• Posted

My son has sinus problems, much the same symptoms you describe. I bought him a Neti pot in desperation. He phoned me to tell me it was great, lol,

I made him watch a YouTube video how to use it correctly first cos that's important  Most users swear by them. and many physicians recommend them.

Might be worth a try. The headache sounds like a sinus headache and the sensation in your throat is mucus trickling down.

It's just an idea anyway smile

Keep in touch, okay?

Any other symptoms pop up just lay them all out on the forum and everyone will help smile

• Posted

I've had sinus pressure headaches for years. Since I've been in Germany, I have only had a handful of headaches. The headaches that I have now are different since these new symptoms started. It was the first time that I had a moderate headache. When I was at home, I always had severe headaches, but that's probably because in my home back home, I always had an air conditioner and it would dry out the air in my house. 

I don't know if I have an infection or what, but it seems like it doesn't want to get better. I don't have a runny nose and I don't have mucus that's stopping my nose. My sinuses are normally clear, but I'm still getting a Post Nasal drip at the back of my throat. I think it's a post nasal drip because sometimes I get a bright feeling and it's possible that I get it an hour or two after I eat. It's in my throat and I don't know if that's acid reflux.

I still have the aura in the morning everytime I wake up that only lasts a few minutes. That's annoying still. I still get pains in my head in random places and I still get random twitching and pains in my arms and legs. My blood pressure has been normal everyday now, which is odd. 

• Posted

..and how are you? What happened at the doctors? 
    • Posted

I went and had an EKG performed and a small blood test that I'm unsure if it was even done. The EKG turned out fine and supposedly my blood test turned out fine. The only problem was that I never received a sheet of my blood analysis. They took one syringe of blood from me and they said it would take about ten minutes. They also used some of the blood for a heart attack check. They came out clear. My blood supposedly came out okay, but he wouldn't tell me anything about it. I don't know. It was a little shady, but supposedly, I'm fine. My anxiety is the main thing that seemed to tear my life apart and tear me down. I became an emotional wreck and experience so many physical symptoms that it doesn't seem like I'm getting that much better, although, I think I am. Today and yesterday, I've felt pretty well. If you read what I wrote to someone else on here, you'll see some of the symptoms that I'm still having. 

• Posted

What haapened to the cough? Do you ask for the meds you wanted?
    • Posted

or you happy in Germany? Do you miss your home?
    • Posted

I'm not living here in Germany. I'm just staying here for some classes that I haven't been able to take because of these symptoms. They left me housebound. I do enjoy Germany, but I do miss my home. I do still have the cough. I have some Angocin but I haven't taken it yet because I was afraid to take anything because I thought that I had a clot. I've been questioning to take the medicine for a while now. I really think I should start taking it. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.