Chronic cough for 4 years. What is it??

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've had a chronic cough for 4 years now. It started when I was 19 when I got the flu and it effected my breathing so bad while being sick that I had to go to the hospital in the middle of the night because I couldn't breathe. Once the flu went away, my lung issues didn't. I was very overweight at the time and at first the symptoms was shortness of breath with mild exercise or smoking. I got an asthma inhaler for this, and that helped. After a while I also started coughing up phlegm daily. The coughing got worse as the amount of phlegm got worse to the point that I am basically constantly clearing my throat and coughing countless times a day. As I lost weight I no longer needed the asthma inhaler, but the chronic cough persisted and is worse than ever 4 years later. I've seen doctors, gotten taken x-rays, blood tests and tested different bronchitis and asthma inhalers with no effect. No one can figure out what is wrong with me. My doctor is hesitant to diagnose me with copd since I am so young and only smoked for 1 and 1/2 years. I've experienced Second hand smoke my whole life as both my parents smoke. I've cut gluten out of my diet to test if I could have a gluten allergy and I'm 2 weeks in and so far there's no change. I've heard it can take a while to test, so I'm going to do it for 6 months. I'm starting to think it's copd and that there's nothing that can be done. There's no test for this, so the only way to get diagnosed is the ruling out any other possible things it could be. Do you have any suggestions to what it could be?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi

Ive had ILD Interstital Lung disease (inflamation of my lungs -well on one lung to be exact) -& Im coughing a lot

sometimes coughing up & nearly being sick sometimes just hard dry coughing

Have you thought about maybe having your lungs tested?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.