Chronic coughing, happens a lot after eating

Posted , 4 users are following.

In the morning, usually after I eat, my nose often gets runny and the snots tend to flow down my throat and it makes me cough. Sometimes my cough is so "hard" (not sure what word to use) to the point I'm about to throw up. Also, usually after eating, whether its lunch, dinner, breakfast, I will cough, most of the time dry. Other than that, I don't usually cough throughout the day. My parents have been telling me it is due to my computer/electronic's air and heat stuck in my room and breathing it in is bad for me. 

I also get bloated a lot after eating ever since maybe a year ago, I find myself trying to burp a lot to get the air out. I'm not sure if I have some bowel issue that can cause coughing? I cough most of the time because I feel like my esophagus isn't cleared or something. I kind of feel like oil or something is clogging in there so I feel the need to cough. Does anyone have any insight on what's wrong with me? Thanks in advance. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi it could be a sinus problem or a wheat one it's impossible to tell.  No one on here can diagnose you and you need to see your doctor for professional advice.  I hope you find or answers.  x

• Posted

Hi,

I also cough after eating in the morning, except my symptoms seem to be brought on by nausea. I cough, dry heave and then spit up nothing. It occurs after dinner as well. I don't know if my coughing is brought on by mucus as I rarely bring any mucus up. 

I also have the bloating from eating especially if I don't move around after a meal. I take a lot of gaviscon to alleviate the gas build up which usually ends up pushing into my chest causing great discomfort and SOB. I am also on nexuim twice a day for this condition.

Often deep  breathing exercises will help bringing up the mucus but it takes time.

Check with your lung doctor as it may have something to do with your lungs and diaphragm due to your COPD.

• Posted

Talk to your doctor- it might be aspiration (you could be inhaling little bits of food when you eat). If it happens only after food- and consistently after food- that's what makes sense to me. That could cause pneumonia, so get it checked out. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.