Chronic crying began 3.5 weeks after laminectomy and discectomy. Normal?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Three weeks and two days after surgery I literally woke up and started crying every time I tried to talk at all. I'm on day three and very little better. I am not a crying person, I truly mean extremely rarely, so this is weird. Met with the surgeon yesterday (day 2 of the crying) and my wife had to do most of the talking for me. Surgeon said it's very rare, feels I need more time to rest before trying to go back to work. Both my surgeon and Family Physician say it's likely from coming off of strong pain meds. Anyone else had this happen? They are going to try Prozac for a bit and see if it takes care of itself in a week or so.

I'm 59, male, hospital CEO and a Pastor, normal height and weight, no other major health issues other than 3 previous spine surgeries that certainly did not have this effect.

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

It could be post-operative depression which is very temporary...no drugs needed. However, this known (but rarely discussed) condition is typical in cases involving patients undergoing a body part replacement (knee, hip, shoulder, etc.)...it's a subconscious "mourning" for the loss of an original part of your body...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/tkr-and-post-operative-depression-604195

I got hit by it when I had my hip replaced in '09 and kicked its butt when I had my knee replaced because I knew it was just a Jedi Mind Trick. I've had four spine surgeries (two fusions, two laminectomies) and it never occurred after those ops. So...

While it could be POD, I just don't see the connection between it and a simple spinal laminectomy. Then again, who knows how the mind works when it comes to this stuff...

PS: I'd be careful with the drugs. Prozac is an SSRI... SSRIs and SNRIs are notoriously difficult to withdraw from once you start them. Maybe some amitriptyline would do the job without the need for the heavy-duty anti-depressants.

• Posted

I find myself crying too. I'm a 52 year old Union Laborer in construction. I'm a very hard worker. Now I feel useless, it's like a lion a small cage. So I guess I'm going to have to take some type antidepressants soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.