Chronic Daily Headache Sufferer for 17 Years - feeling hopeless

Posted , 4 users are following.

Up until about 17 years ago, I had never really experienced a "headache" of any form so I couldn't really appreciate how significantly it could impact someone's life.  Since they started, my headaches, based on everything I've researched and been told, are in the 'tension type' category.  However, although I do experience symptoms that would fall into that category, I often experience much, much more.  I wake up EVERY morning with a headache and it continues all day, every day until I go to sleep (which takes a while because, you guessed it, I have a headache).  In addition to the vice-like grip I feel on the sides and the back of my head all day, I also feel dizzy, irritable, sensitive to sound and light, and at times confused and searching for the proper words to use in my sentences. My short-term memeory is inconsistent at best which really scares me. When trying to hold eye contact during a conversation it hurts so bad I wnat to tear up. Further, I get these spasms that shoot up my neck and grab the back of my skull and cause it to twitch to the side (has anyone ever feltsomething like this?? scares me a lot), completely involuntarily.  It almost feels like a tuning fork sensation travelling across the back of my head - happens several times a day!  Put bluntly, it's torture and it seems to have no end.  I have had 3 MRI's, CAT Scans, Blood tests, and tried every type of therapy and gimmick imaginable.  All tests come back - "normal".  The suffering I feel is anyhting BUT "normal".  I've visited every type of doctor but nobody seems to be able to explain why it is I feel what I feel.  They all have theories, but never answers.  It is so frustrating.  Tracing back to where it all began can be problematic as I was finishing a brief career in Junior hockey (during which I sustained at least 2 concussions that I know of) and starting to work a desk job which has me sitting in a  very unhealthy position for most of the day.  Is it concussion related or is it my neck jutting forward as I sit in front of a computer?  I can't say for certian that it's either, or perhaps a combination of both. Apparently nobody can. I've had doctors tell me it's my posture, weak neck muscles, stress, depression, diet, not enough water....you name it.  Problem is, I'm extremely active, eat well and drink a ton of water every day and furthermore, weak neck muscles shouldn't make me feel dizzy and confused (I don't believe so anyways). I'm amazed I`m abale to funtion to the level that i do, however i feel that pushing through the constant pain every day is taking its toll on me physically and mentally.  Simpe tasks are feeling larger and larger.   I'm at my wits end here.  Hopeless doesn't even begin to describe how I feel when each morning arrives and another pressurized, spasming, tight-banded headache awaits me.  I guess I'm writing on this forum with a faint hope that someone out there can offer some advice or perhaps even shed some light on their own similar experiences so that I can gain some insight on what may be causing this.  Any ideas are welcome and sincerely appreciated.  Thanks for reading this. 

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Be prepared that cutting out caffeine can be tough and give withdrawal headaches. Keep well hydrated with water and maybe decaf tea or try camomile or mint tea. 

Ive found that once I knew what caused the headaches I could cope with them better--- I knew what I was fighting. 

• Posted

I wanted to follow up on this conversation and see if anyone has found any solutions. I sounds like we are in the same boat.

I have had daily headaches for going on 3 years now. They are tension type headaches across the front of my head that can turn into more severe migraines if dehydrated, with physical effort or direct sunlight.

The one temporary medicine that seems to help is Excedrin. I have tried all the other medicines (Antidepressants, migraine shots, botox, etc). I do not think it is from stress either. I also tried chiropractor, acupuncture, message, yoga).

Love to hear any successes that have worked for you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.