Chronic Daily Headaches - Working from home

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all

I'm a 33 year old male who has suffered from Chronic daily headaches since i was 25/26.

This condition has so far wrecked what was a very promising career; i've been clinging on at work desperately for the last few years. I perform well when i'm 'ok' but not able to function when not, this often involves 1-2 weeks at home whilst i go through the mill with the various headache types i suffer from.

Abortive and preventative medication have little or no effect.

I've recently been exploring the work environment i work in as the trigger, and cause, of my condition. The headaches started when I first started work in an air conditioned, open plan, noisy office - and is the only thing i can really put my finger on.

My employer has engaged occ health and i recently saw their doctor; it has been suggested that i work a 50/50 split of office and home work environment; the idea being that i can control my home environment.

They are reluctant to explore this to say the least; has, or does, anybody else work from home with a similar condition or disability? How has it worked out for you?

Any help with the home working would be great :-)

Yours, a fellow 'graineur'

Gary

x

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Look up 'fluorescent light induced headache' smile
  • Posted

Hi

Constant headaches, especially back of head, are a typical side effect of cervical spondylosis...i.e nerve problems in neck. Might be worth checking with your GP.

• Posted

Instead of using medication you could look into complimentary therapies.

I suffered from severe headaches and neck pain.

Ihave seen an osteopath and this has helped me.

• Posted

I have suffered nearly 30 years with migraines. I'm a systems analyst so I spend a lot of time in front of a screen. At work, I have got them to remove the fluorescent light above my desk, I turn my screen radiance very low, I zoom in to try and reduce eye strain. I avoid looking at other people's screens that seem dazzling and painfully white to me and trigger auras. I keep my smartphone screen as dim as possible.It helps a little and I can work from home on occasion, but it's not a cure.
  • Posted

do you have a spotty face? sore throat you may be allergic to cows milk get a allergy test done
  • Posted

Lots of people get confused between allergies and intolerances. An allergy is when the body produces histamine in response to what it believes is foreign. If you were allergic to milk, your lips would swell up, redness, itching, inflammation etc. An intolerance is completely different. The enzyme that we produce to digest the cows milk sugar (lactose) is lactase. We all prouce varying amounts of lactase. If we drink more milk than we can digest, then the remainder goes straight through the gut undigested. You don't need a test for this. If you have a low lactose tolerance, you'll get diarrhoea if you have too much. You can become less tolerant over the years if your ability to produce lactase declines, but this is very different to a milk allergy which is exceptionally rare.
  • Posted

i had a client who went to a dr hope in liverpool he had sore throatsall the time, spotty skin and was told to stop drinking cows milk and it all cleared up,

now wether that is intolerance or allergy it worked for him

• Posted

Hi Gary,

I had a similar situation with my now ex-employer where they weren't forthcoming about working from home, which would really have helped me to manage my stress levels. As your attacks sound as though they could constitute a disability you are entitled to reasonable adjustments in the workplace (Equality Act 2010).

As migraine sufferers we tend to be more prone to stress, so controlling your work/home environment would be helpful. Although I don't have direct experience of working from home in the job I mention I am now self-employed, which means that I split my time between the office and home and my attacks have definitely reduced. My weak link is always stress and now that I am less stressed, I seem to suffer less as well!

I hope that helps.

Lenks xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.