Chronic Diarrhea (2 + years) w/ rotten egg burps + severe abdominal cramps.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for advice on someone who has the same symptoms as me. I suffer daily now for over 2 years with loose & watery bowel movements (can be yellow at times), burps that taste like rotten eggs, extreme bowel/stomach noises/flatulence + abdominal cramps w/ nausea and occasionally vomiting.

I have had every test imaginable. Blood, stools, every scan, every scope, still need to do a capsule endoscopy at the end of March (if anyone knows a location in Montreal or Ottawa that I can get this done feel free to leave a comment as I am currently needing to travel to Toronto for it due to government regulations against it in the province of Quebec)

I take imodium, lomotil, pepto

-bismol daily. I have tried other medications such as anti - spasmodics (Bentyl), corticosteroids (Entocort), anti depressants (Elavil), and several antibiotics (Rifaxamin, Flaygl, Cipro) and bile acid medication (Questran) . While I am on any antibiotics the rotten egg burps disappear and my stool seems to normalize throughout the treatment. As soon as I stop the antibiotics my symptoms seem to return days later with a vengeance.

Also noticed if I completely avoid sugar in anyway (sugar, honey, maple syrup, bread, rice, fruits) for more then 2 weeks symptoms calm down but as soon as I have the smallest amount of any of the above mentioned foods, sulphuric egg burps start & every symptom closely follows.

Anyone who has gone through the exact same thing and found a answer or is still going through this please leave comments and advice. I am at the end of my rope with all this, has taken control of every aspect of my life and I am out of solutions.

• Matthew

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

You could be diabetic or insulin resistant. Have you had a fasting blood glucose test?

• Posted

yes they have taken my fasting blood and after eating as well. everything is normal. not diabetic thankfully.

• Posted

have you been tested for celiac disease? Or had any food intolerance tests?

• Posted

yes they did biopsy and blood testing for celiac. both negative. Had a real allergy test done and a food intolerance test as well. Allergy test all clear. Food intolerance test the foods that came back elevated I avoided them for 4 weeks without seeing a change in the least.

• Posted

You said you do notice a difference when you cut out simple carbs, are you ok with granary bread or brown rice for example, or is it all breads and rice?

• Posted

I notice somewhat of a change when I cut out anything that the body breaks down as a sugar. Honey, maple syrup, bread (all kinds), pasta, potatoes (normal and sweet), rice (white and brown). I seem to be alright with low sugar fruits like berries & citrus in moderation. For example if I don't have an attack for over a week because I am eating nothing but meat, eggs and vegetables..then I have a piece of chocolate..just a piece (amongst othet things but using this as a example to show u how small) the rotten egg burps start within an hour & the bowel rumbles and diarrhea follow.

• Posted

It sounds like you have a very bad case of IBS and acid reflux. Have you ever tried esomeprazole (nexium) which is a ppi tablet for reflux or alverine which is a type of antispasmodic both of which I think are the best. I have tried most others which don't work as well. Sometimes it is a matter of trial and error until you find something that suits you. Also a low gi diet works well for me. Beer and certain alcoholic drinks especially sugary ones can be a trigger. I get terrible stomach ache and nausea after white wine or champagne maybe because it is acidic.

• Posted

See a registered dietitian for a daily food menu and try loperamide for diarrhea and anti-gas tablets for gas, neither of which require a prescription.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.