Chronic diarrhea for 6 months.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, Im a 23 yr old male. I have been suffering from chronic diarrhea,  pale stools, and a gnawing empty feeling in my stomach that came un suddenly about 5 months ago ,right around the time I was taking a round of cipro for a uti.  Since then I have done 2 endoscopies and 1 colonoscopy, blood tests, biopsies, stool tests, cat scan, and xrays of my abdomen only to find  practically nothing. The only things found in all of these tests were high liver enzymes, high sed rate, and an unknown mass in my liver area. 

The diarrhea slowed down a little my GI prescriped me flagyl, and probiotics which I didn’t finish.  I still have some days of diarrhea on and off, lately its been getting worse again. I wake up super lightheaded with an awful gnawing in my stomach that feels like Ive been starving myself for days, and a burning sensation in my upper Gi. I’ve also been having nausea and vomiting sometimes as well.

Im still working with my doctor, but does anyone have any theories? im suffering and missing out on my life.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,

What do you mean unknown mass in your liver? What enzymes are elevated?

• Posted

High ALT and a couple of others. I did an ultrasound of my abdomen, and they saw a mass inside of my liver. They don’t what it is yet. 
    • Posted

The other one was feritin.
    • Posted

I had high ALT and had ultrasound and showed nothing on my liver but i do have gallstones. When you say pale colored stools like white or clay color? Or yellowish?
    • Posted

If it’s clayish color like gray or white then it could be assign that you have a problem around your pancreas, galbladder or liver. Maybe ask for LFT’s a liver function tests. Just like what Pippa suggested push for more further testing. 
  • Posted

You may need further tests on your liver mass to find out what it is and get answers.
    • Posted

Since nothing else but liver problems have shown up, it may be the cause.  The antibiotics may have disturbed something too.  However, the best person to ask is your doctor who will do further tests.
  • Posted

Has your diet been checked? What do you consume regularly?
    • Posted

Bland stuff, oatmeal, egg whites, grains, a lot of protein mostly from meat. Ive canceled out dairy, caffeine, oily stuff. Doesn’t make much of a difference either way, except for spicy food but that had always bothered me. 
  • Posted

I’m going through something very similar minus chronic diarrhea. I have bouts of diarrhea but it stops. 

What started it for me was pain near gallbladder. Had an ultrasound and they found 4 liver masses. Sent me into a month full of anxiety.  I had a CT scan that was inconclusive for the liver masses and then had an MRI with contrast which confirmed benign hemmangiomas. 

However I still have burning sensation in stomach and lighter stool but seems to get worse when triggered by stress. 

Next test is endoscopy. I’m a Male 31 year old one 

• Posted

Same here. Stress seems to make the symptoms worse. Good luck on your endoscopy, they didn’t find anything when I did it, except for mild gastritis

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.