chronic diarrhoea

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been taking lansoprazole for several months because I was experiencing symptoms of reflux - heartburn upon waking, excessive phlegm in the back of my throat and feelings of nausea.  Three weeks ago I started to get diarrhoea which is ongoing.  It usually happens very early in the morning and then in the evening - so usually twice a day.  I don't know if it is the lansoprazole that is causing this, or the fact that to help with the phlegm in my throat I begain chewing sugar-free gum several weeks ago as it seemed to help to clear it.  I have since discovered that sugar-free gum contains sorbitol which I understand can have a laxative effect.  I was probably chewing about 8 pieces a day.  I have visited my GP who has prescribed loperamide - I have been using this for 2 days but it hasn't really changed anything - I still have diarrhoea twice a day.  I don't seem to be allowed to have any tests until I have had diarrhoea for 6 weeks (4 weeks if there's blood which for me there isn't).  Is anyone having any similar experiences as I do feel very worried that it could be something serious.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Pat

I know from experience that anything containing sortibol has that effect on your stomach, and should only be used occasionally !!

• Posted

Thanks for that.  I've stopped chewing gum, and am now wondering if it will take some time for my gut to settle down - fingers crossed!
  • Posted

Sorbitol is known to be a laxative, don't chew gum containing it.

Lansoprazole and all other PPI's can affect digestion and hence leave you prone to some form of diarrhoea.

I find Ranitidine (Zantac) an old and safer form of PPI, less likely to cause adverse reactions.

Loperamide doesn't sove the problem of incomplete digestion (from taking PPI's0 but I am surprised it doesn't stop the diarrhoea.

• Posted

Thanks for that;  I think I'll ask my GP if I could change my PPI to Ranitidine. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.