Chronic diarrhoea

Posted , 3 users are following.

Been experiencing diarrhoea daily for the past 8 months, had colonoscopy and gastrocopy, nothing found besides a stomach ulcer. Diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis. I have gained a significant amount of weight even though  my diet hasn’t changed and everything I eat goes straight through. Stools are sometimes foul smelling, float on surface of water and are greasy. Seems to be no deficiencies. Has anyone experienced this or know what could be the cause? 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi sapphire235

Are you taking medication for AS? If so check the Information Leaflet that came with your meds for side effects...they may include diahorrea......

• Posted

No I’m not, I only recently got diagnosed, and I’m only 18, so I’m in the very early stages and they don’t want to treat me with any medications before getting a second opinion. 
  • Posted

Hi Sapphire235

What is your diet like...perhaps you need to change it.....

• Posted

Relatively healthy, and hasn’t changed since this onset of diarrhoea, I can’t say I have a perfect diet however I eat plenty of wholefoods, drink lots of water and only treat myself once a week to a small treat. I have tried cutting out most foods using an elimination diet but nothing has helped. My gastrocopy showed no intolerances or allergies which is what’s bothering me. I’m very careful with what I eat and if I do eat unhealthy, I exercise extra or make up it for it by eating at a calorie deficit the rest of the week. 
  • Posted

Avoid anything, rich greasy or spicy since you have an ulcer.  Eat a bland diet.  Go back to your doctor about the diarrhoea.  Maybe you have a food intolerance that you haven’t picked up yet.  It can take a while to uncover food triggers.  Try eating foods like rice or bananas to bind you up.  You could also try Imodium to make sure you keep your nutrients in. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.