Chronic Diverticular disease and pain management

Posted , 5 users are following.

Have any of you found relief for chronic abdominal pain (diverticular or otherwise)? Unfortunately the most effective thing for me in the past was Ibuprofen which I now avoid like the plague due to the adverse effect NSAIDs have on the gut. I have tried to get my doc to try Gabapentin and Amitriptyline which was recommended to me, but she is disinterested in helping me with pharmaceuticals. Like many others, I'm also blessed with IBS and my abdominal distress is fairly chronic and systemic. Just curious what's worked for you beside FODMAP diets, etc.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

hi andrew try buscopan tablets.

• Posted

Thanks, the buscopan tablets are not readily available here in the states but I did find some on Amazon. I didn't really find any relief, maybe I should give it more time.

• Posted

Hi Andrew

I agree with Buscopan tablets which help but also I find using a Microwaveable heat pack helps as well to relieve the pain but that's not to everyone's liking

• Posted

I am so so sorry you are also part of the “club.” Like you, I suffer from the same issues. In respect to prescription medication, I was prescribed Amitripline (Elavil I think is the brand name) Private message me if you are interested in trying it. I never took it because it’s an antidepressant and I am taking Lexapro which I also think has helped my IBS. I’ve tried other SSRI meds and from what I’ve tried the Lexapro helped the most. Chlordiazepoxide (Brand name Librax) is something for IBS that helps. Also, Dicyclomine which is a GI/IBS medication is specifically for cramping helps me. There is another one that dissolved under your tongue but I forgot the name. I used it many years ago. Motegrity is an SSRI but is for IBS/constipation. Diazepam (Valium) helps but it has heavy side effects- it is obviously not intended for GI issues but it helps.

In respect to over the counter enteric coated peppermint oil capsules are helpful, they have to be enteric coated because that coating allows them to reach the GI tract. It is the active ingredient in IB guard but a quarter of the price. Also ibergast. It is a liquid and tastes absolutely terrible but it works- both can be purchased on Amazon. Zantac, tums, Pepto-Bismol all help to an extent.

Hopefully this helps. This condition is a living hell and I truly feel your pain!

• Posted

Thanks for the comprehensive reply, some things to discuss with my doc. As to enteric peppermint I have tried that with some success, but have on a couple occasions found them to behave like a peppermint suppository, lol. I can have some fast transit time and just the other day, well let's just say the BM was minty fresh and quite exhilarating.

• Posted

Hi Andrew, you ever thought of H pylori bug, on reading about H pylori if survives in an acid environment in stomach that causes IBS , do you eat a lot of acid forming foods , just me but maybe if you can cut down on them , and on reading further drinking lemon juice , acid taste to drink but turns alkaline in stomach , i not tried it yet but just maybe it might work , maybe the alkaline just neutralizes the h pylori it seems h pylori cant survive in alkaline stomach ,

• Posted

Thanks, I've recently had 2 endoscopies and was negative on H Pylori. I am not so sure if there is a SIBO or SIFO in play here however and have been giving some supplements a go (Berberine, Neem, Oregano oil, garlic).

• Posted

Hi Andrew. i've just been reading about medicinal clay, seems it has been used for centuries for repairing mucosal lining of stomach

• Posted

Have you tried Atrantil its an "over the counter" supplement for SIBO, it works well.

• Posted

Where can that be purchased? Also, do you have any recommendations as to where I can get more information regarding the clay?

• Posted

Hi albert , just type Medicinal clay ,you should come up with it . & who sells it.

• Posted

never know it just might help .wiki explains it well

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.