Chronic ear infections and fluid for 4 months straight...losing hope.

Posted , 6 users are following.

My ears have been filled with middle ear fluid ever since i had an ear infection + cold. Worse yet, i keep getting ear infections, i've had over a dozen in 3.5 months, even after being on 5 rounds of antibiotic treatment, the infections keep coming back worse every time.

The ENT i visited keeps telling me to use nasal sprays and antibiotics even though they don't work. At this point i've lost all hope in finding a solution, i feel i'm going to lose my hearing completely soon and there's nothing i can do to stop it.

My final option is to visit another ENT and ask for tubes to be inserted in my ear drums in hopes that would drain the fluid and heal the ear, however i've heard that has a 60% success rate which is better than nothing but still disheartening. If this doesn't work i think i'm going to spiral into depression from the pressure and tinnitus in my ears. What other options do i have left? Is this a life long ailment?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello, well, here I go again in recommending Predisolone tablets....a 20 day reducing course will get rid of all the fluid build up and the inflammation too.  You may only have to use them the one time, if your fluid was due to catching a cold.   Ask and try, I pretty much guarantee you'll be better.

Anne

• Posted

Tubes have really good results. I have the same problem as you and the tubes were put in last year they are out now and although I still have a problem with my eustation tube it is milder and copeable. Chin up it does last a while but you WI'LL get better

• Posted

Me and you are in the same boat.Except I have thumping as extra torture.Let me know if you find what works
    • Posted

Your thumoing is called muscualr tinnitus. In your inner ear you little muscle. Tensor tymoani and stapedius. The spasm is the thump. It awful. And you should check to see if you have tmjd with your dentist,
  • Posted

Good Morning Ricky,

I totally understand your feelings. I just don't understand ent drs. It's not like heart issues but I haven't had answers from any I have seen. I would try the tubes you have a 60% chance of it working. Having ear problems is so exhausting. I guess because it is in the head like a toothache. I am so exhausted by the end of the day,  I am so sorry you are fighting this. Use this forum to vent. Don't allow yourself to go inward. Talk here someone is listening.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.