Chronic Epididymitis

Posted , 12 users are following.

It turns out that probably i have chronic Epididymitis which came from an untreated Epididymitis.Doctors finally agreed that there is something wrong with my Epididymitis and the ultrasound confirmed that the head of my Epididymitis is inflamed.Doctor prescribed antibiotic but im in the second day with no improvement.Is there any way known to man to get out of this hell .Last 6 months have been a disaster . If anyone has something to propose please do .

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hello George,

I will respond in a few short posts as my computer keeps hanging up.

I have your problem and here is how I manage it.

First you should take an antibiotic called Keflex for 2 weeks. It is designed  just for epididimytis and helps a lot. Your urologist should specialize in testicular pain.

My urologist also said he could inject a nerve block agent into the epididymis which would stop the pain for a few months and then need to be redone but not always.

• Posted

…. He also said I could take a nerve block drug like Lyrica to stop the pain but it has side effects.

He also said that he could remove surgically the epididymis which is just a minor surgery and that would work too.

I also have a cyst at the base of my epididymis. This cyst can flare up after sex or any physical activity and is very painful. My doctor said he can easily drain this cyst but that I should take 2 NSAIDs and 2 Tylenol with codein to help the pain. Both of these work. Also we should wear snug fitting underwear so the cyst does not get banged around ….

• Posted

…..  This cyst is sometimes called a testicular cyst and can sometimes be confused with epididimytis since they are located at the same place.

They though my pain initially was due to a varicocele and removed it but that did not help.

Sometimes in extreme cases it may be necessary to remove the testicle which is not the end of the world but I haven't reached that point.

Anyway try these ideas as some worked for me. I was in bed for months with ice on my scrotum for the pain and no quality of life. Good luck. Howard

• Posted

Have you gotten a full relieve of pain ?

I dont want my life to get destroyed cause of this . Did keflex work ? Since there is probably no bacteria how does antibiotic med help?Thanks for the replies .

• Posted

Yes -Keflex did work and all these other things gave me confidence that when I start to get a flare up I can get ahead of it quickly before it puts me back in bed.

In your case you should ask your doctor about getting a scrotal nerve block. It is just an injection into the epididimys that deadens the nerves so you don't have any pain. They say it lasts a few months which is good enough for me and then get it again.

But first try the Keflex for 14 days along with Tylenol plus codein and see if it helps. Good luck. Are you in the US?

• Posted

No I am in Europe .Once the 8 days of this antibiotic finish i will ask for Keflex 

Most of the time i have no pain at all but sometimes i feel you know this dull ache like someone is pushing my balls.

If i try to wear skinny jeans i get this pain above the testicle i think at the epididymal head .

• Posted

You should also ask your doctor about getting a scrotal nerve block. Check it out on the internet. I was scheduled for one but cancelled it because the Keflex worked ok.

You should also have the doctor check for any cysts on the testicles. I have one and I think that is what causes the constant dull ache I have. It can be drained but if I wear snug under wear then the cysts doesn't get banged around. Also when it starts to hurt I take Tylenol with codein and 2 nsaids like motrin and that stops the pain though sometimes I put ice on it for 30 minutes.

• Posted

I can actually feel it like a hard small marble on the left testicle. During flare-ups ( caused by stress and sex) it gets much bigger and hot. It also showed up on a testicular ultrasound. I am told what I thought was a cyst is actually the head of the epididymis that gets inflamed. The only drug that helps for me is Percoset which has minor side effects and is very effective.

• Posted

Hi, I had an injury to the left testicle 2 years ago, in March of this year, I caught a cold on my testicle and now both sides are in pain urologists said that everything is fine, but I still have pain, you can help how to get out of this hell. In my country keflex is forbidden. what other medicines help for chronic epididymitis

• Posted

I suffer from periodic epsisodes of chronic epididymitis. The only effective treatment is being prescribed Amitriptyline which reduces any inflammation and discomfort. However it can cause unbewanted side effects such as drowsiness and reduced libido.

• Posted

does anybody else get severe pain in back of hip when flare up?

• Posted

Hi, I had an trauma to the left testicle 2 years ago, in March of this year, I caught a cold on my testicle and now both sides are in pain urologists said that everything is fine, but I still have pain, can you help how to get out of this hell

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.