Chronic fatigue and depression

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all, 

I have undiagnosed chronic fatigue syndrome but seeing a consultant on Monday for my assessment. Alongside this, I have found myself becoming very depressed, having a lot of crying episodes and just wanting to hide away from the world. Does anyone else with CFS experience this? I'm not sure if it's linked or if it's separate but it's making my life even harder. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

yes very much so, you do get depressed because you get frustrated at not being able to do things. I thought getting a confirmed diagnosis would be the answer to my problems but no, it was a bit let down. Why, because to put it bluntly there is no magic pill to cure the condition.

After many, many years battling the condition I decided to stat listening to my GP who told me that I needed to pace and gave me lots of useful advice and encouragement as she had other patients with the condition who were well on the road to recovery. She can now add me to that list.

I have my condition under control, notice I never say cured, by managing my energy levels every day. Akin to training for a marathon, doing everything in very small steps, the outcome I can now cycle 50 miles. 

SO there is light at the end of the tunnel but its a brutal battle to get there learning to say NO.

• Posted

The two conditions can be linked as having CFS can lead to you feeling depressed as you are unable to do things but with depression you can feel very tired too. I feel that with CFS you want to do things but are physically unable to do them but with depression you physically can do things but don't have the motivation to do them. I don't think this time of year helps with the feeling depressed either as it's so cold and dark it doesn't motivate you to do much even if you could. I have CFS but have been feeling more depressed lately but I'm hoping my mood will lift in the spring when the weather improves and I'm not in so much pain.

?Good luck with your doctors appointment. Make sure you tell them exactly how you are feeling. You could always write down some of your symptoms and take the list with you in case you forget to mention something so you get the most out of your appointment.

• Posted

I was prescribed antidepressants before CFS was even mentioned by my GP. I was adamant that i wasnt depressed that it was the symptoms of CFS that was making me tearful. And the fact i couldnt stay awake late cos of the tiredness and the aches and pains. But i took his advice and that was nearly 4 years ago and am still on them. I was diagnosed with CFS last August. When i mentioned to the CFS consultant that i didnt think i was depressed he just said "how do you know, do you know what it is". Personally i think its the frustration of the situation that gets me down and not depression. I also recommend that you make some notes before your appointment as you will get more out of your appointment and not go home thinking i should have said this. Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

I was prescribed antidepressants before CFS was even mentioned by my GP. I was adamant that i wasnt depressed that it was the symptoms of CFS that was making me tearful. And the fact i couldnt stay awake late cos of the tiredness and the aches and pains. But i took his advice and that was nearly 4 years ago and am still on them. I was diagnosed with CFS last August. When i mentioned to the CFS consultant that i didnt think i was depressed he just said "how do you know, do you know what it is". Personally i think its the frustration of the situation that gets me down and not depression. I also recommend that you make some notes before your appointment as you will get more out of your appointment and not go home thinking i should have said this. Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Depression is standard for lots of illnesses.

I know it is listed as one of the parts of this condition but that is purely because of the impact this has on ones life but there is different degrees of depression.

it could be you have just depression a lot of the symptoms of that are similar to cfs and the way you describe it that may be the case.

A lot of people are misdiagnosed with cfs because there is no real test.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.