Chronic Fatigue crash every winter, why?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have had ME for 20 years and for the last 4 years now my body goes I to crisis during the autumn and winter months. Despite taking rest and pacing myself, from experience with so many years of illness, in winter I have terrible pain all over my body (which I have experienced before with viruses) yet the pain takes months to go. I take medication to ease the pain but I still suffer with it to the point where I'm house bound. Mg pain feels like nerve pain and prevents me from sleeping.

Does anyone else suffer in a similar way seasonally? I can't help thinking that moving to a warmer climate may be the answer as each year brings the same misery.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Amber 😃 Sorry to hear that you are feeling so bad. My symptoms always flared up in the winter, as well. The rainy, dreary, and cold temperatures definitely have an effect on my condition. I would often feel like hibernating. In fact, when I'm energetic, my daughter calls me "summer mom."

Unfortunately, as I've gotten older (I've had CFS/ME for over 25 years now) my symptoms have gotten worse all the time, not just in the winter. I think the hormonal imbalances I've experienced through menopause have had an effect on my overall well-being. I'm more tired all the time and have to cancel plans more often.

Where are you thinking about moving to? I actually already live in a tropical climate in the south where we experience very mild winters. I could never live in the northeast where the winter months are so frigid. KPD

• Posted

Hi Amber 😃 Sorry to hear that you are feeling so bad. My symptoms always flared up in the winter, as well. The rainy, dreary, and cold temperatures definitely have an effect on my condition. I would often feel like hibernating. In fact, when I'm energetic, my daughter calls me "summer mom."

Unfortunately, as I've gotten older (I've had CFS/ME for over 25 years now) my symptoms have gotten worse all the time, not just in the winter. I think the hormonal imbalances I've experienced through menopause have had an effect on my overall well-being. I'm more tired all the time and have to cancel plans more often.

Where are you thinking about moving to? I actually already live in a tropical climate in the south where we experience very mild winters. I could never live in the northeast where the winter months are so frigid. KPD

• Posted

Hi Amber

I've had ME over 20 years too and have definitely noticed that I feel worse in the winter with more pain and fatigue especially on damp days. Try and keep yourself as warm as possible and maybe try walking around the house so you don't end up totally inactive. You could try some gentle stretches and massage to keep your blood flowing. A SAD lamp might also help if your mood is affected. I think it's our natural instinct to feel like hibernating in the winter anyway - animals do it so it's a pity we couldn't too! You could try planning some goal to work towards in the spring. I tend to feel at my best in Spring and Autumn and drained with the heat in the summer. Stay positive and Spring will be here before you know it!

• Posted

Amber,

I've been suffering with CFS/ME FOR 7+ years.

I don't have seasonal issues but I experience nerve pain all over, most of the time. I was prescribed Gabapentin which has been effective.

It doesn't have any side effects that I've noticed.

You should ask your doctor if it would work for you!

Blessings,

Jeff

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.