Chronic fatigue/ME help after operation 7 weeks ago?!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed with chronic fatigue/ME almost a year ago now after a bad glandular fever virus in 2014! Before I got ill I would work a 40+ hour week as a nursery nurse but ever since I've had glandular fever and now chronic fatigue it's all gone down hill.

I had a op 7 weeks ago to remove a cyst on my ovary that was leaking around my body causing me to be really sick, before this I was managing to work 25 hours a week as a nursery nurse but having quite a lot of time off due to my chronic fatigue and it was getting worse.

However since my op I've just gone downhill, I am exhausted all the time, sore throat, pains all over my body, dizziness, bowel issues (being tested for chromes or celiac atm) I tried to go back to work last week doing 2 hours a day to start but I couldn't manage it sad I feel so down and useless about my life, I'm only 22 and live with my partner who works so hard! I really don't want to give up work but I can't see myself being able to return anytime soon! I can't afford to not have any money coming in as my partner is a trainee gas engener and we privately rent ect, any ideas on what I should or could do? Has anyone been in this situation before?

Thank you smile

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi- it does sound possible that your op has caused a worsening of symptoms. Do you get sick pay at work? If so- go see your doctor and ask to be signed off. The main this you can do for yourself is total rest.

Ive only been ill since Sept and have been told ive got Post Viral Fatigue- im Afew years older than you but still only young at 30. Everyone keeps saying if you can rest as much as you can in the early stages of feeling unwell then you have the best chance of a full recovery. I'm trying to follow this advice and even though for the most part im feeling a lot better, im spending Afew hours a day in bed just resting and watching TV/reading etc. Try and do the same if your job will allow. X

• Posted

Thanks for your reply smile

Have you been off work since September? I've been off since late November when I had my op, so far I have received full pay whilst being off but I don't know how long this will last, I worry that if they stop paying me we won't be able to afford to live anymore! My partner is only on £17,000 a year until fully qualified in October and we both have cars to run and we privately rent ect.

I spend most of the day reading and relaxing smile my scar from my op still causes me pain and I'm too tired to do much else! I can manage a half hour walk with my dog which I love but I need the whole day to rest after that sad hate feeling so sick and drained 24/7 x

• Posted

Hi I so sorry, has your GP tested your Bloods for elevated ESR & CRP and possibly an ANA? Have you got a family history of Psoriasis or PsA. Do you have cystic acne, very painful periods, heavy periods, are you growing hair in places you would rather not? If so you may have PCOS it's common and you might need to see an endocrinologist. 
    • Posted

I have had every blood test under the sun in the last few years! I've not got polysictic ovaries or endometriosis, I am being checked for chrones or celiac disease next week so that could be playing a part of it... It's all so frustrating sad I hate being so lonely all day x
    • Posted

I know what you mean about feeling lonely . I took most of November off and im self employed so that was a big decision. IM a dance teacher but lucky that I only work Afew hours a day Afew days a week so I try spend the rest of the day relaxing. Like today, I worked this morning till half 11 then got myself straight in to be with a box set and il stay here till I pick my kids up at 3.Just try think that it won't last forever and use this time to relax. Watch lots of box sets, take up these grown up colouring books lol, read. You said that you walk half hour every day- if this exhausts you for the rest of the day you could do with trying to cut that out for a while or at least drop it to ten mins or so as it could be hindering your recovery. I know this is hard and believe me I was a total gym freak before getting ill so the not exercising part is what I find most difficult but I'm determind to just rest for another few months, even though i am currently feeling a lot better x
  • Posted

Hi Lau,

I know that you're feeling awful with the new symptoms and it can seem a lightless tunnel but, cfs/me is like having a battery at half power, the operation has depleted it further. Cfs/me also makes recovery time longer so, as said by Danielle, get signed off sick for the time being and give yourself some recovery time. I know sick pay isnt a huge amount but, your health is important. Are you in the uk? Apply for help towards your rent while you are ill. If you're not up to that, ask your partner to do this. Look on gov website to get housing and council tax help until you are fit to work. Don't struggle on as you need to rest right now.

Best wishes

Beverley

• Posted

Thanks for your reply smile

I have been signed off work since end of November when I had my op, I have received full pay since then but I know it won't last and I will be on SSP, it's so horrible feeling ill and being lonely! My partner is out the house from 6.30am until 7pm sometimes even later.

Yes I am in the UK, that's a good idea to try and get some help with the rent, I have thought about it before but wasn't sure if we would qualify for the help! My partner only earns £17,000 a year atm and our rent + council tax comes to £800 a month and that's without gas ect 😞 It's hard to try and relax when you have the worry of bills aswell x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.