Chronic fatigue or something else?

Posted , 3 users are following.

II am a 49 year old woman and have suffered with "off" days for over 10 years. I wake with a heavy head that almost feels like a hangover and it robs me of all of my energy for the day. This always occurs upon waking and varies from day to day. One day I am fine and then next I am like another person with my foggy , hangover type head and have no energy.

A night of sleep usually makes me feel better but in recent years I have had multiple days of this on occasion. If I am able to sleep during the day it can help but I am often unable to nap regardless of my fatigue. I have seen numerous doctors, naturopaths, and nutritionists and even psychiatrists. Initially, I could control it with eating - no vinegars, alcohol, broths, pickles, garlic and many foods that fit into the histamine category but now I have no control. I eat the blandest food possible and no alcohol or caffeine but this still occurs. I have tried various migraine medications, adderall, sleeping pills, antidepressants, lavender pills and have had endless blood testsfor things like lyme and lupus and no doctor can find anything wrong. I am extremely sensitive to meds so many I have been unable to continue with I have tried elimination diets as well. I have also tried many natural remedies and supplements with no help either. I have done sleep study tests for sleep apnea which hsowed nothing but I still tried a CPAP machine to rule things out – no luck. I should mention that I have no thyroid as I had cancer so it was removed. I am on thyroid meds but my blood tests of thyroid levels are always normal.

I am wondering if this this fits with anyone’s story and if you have had any luck working out what is causing your symptoms or finding anything that helps. Any ideas or input would be much much appreciated!!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

wow it was like Fort Knox trying to sign up and log into this site. i guess that's why there aren't a lot of participants.

I wanted to reach out to you and say that you're likely not alone. I'm so sorry you're going through this. It's beyond comprehension. To be honest, it terrifies me to read this. I've had off again, on again symptoms of this ailment for the last year, with each period of feeling normal, shorter and shorter. The past two weeks have been a living nightmare. I tried making beds this evening after doing the laundry and my heart was pounding out of my chest with my legs feeling like they've been filled with led weights. I collapsed on my bed and cried.

My symptoms are different from yours in that I have a daily prickling tight and uncomfortable sensation at the base of my skull - a very stiff neck and slight dizziness but no brain fog yet. My head does feel heavy though. My condition is worsening though so perhaps the fog will come.

I haven't been diagnosed with this. The neurologist claimed I had migraines. Um no. I rarely have headaches actually. CFS is the only illness that aligns with my symptoms. I have an MRI scheduled in July to rule out the even uglier diseases.

I'm about to pursue Naturopath treatment and acupuncture so reading your post has sunk my hopes a lot to find a resolution haha. I'll try it nonetheless though as I have have other things that need improving. This is a disease where you have to treat each separate issue.

Have you looked into red light therapy? I wonder if that would help with inflammation you might be having?

• Posted

Hi there,

I have been on here a number of years and recently they changed the site which has become more difficult now.

B

• Posted

Hi cookie25,

Have you suggested cfs/me to your GP? can you remember a trigger, maybe the cancer? cfs/me tends to have a trigger that overwhelms your system. my own trigger was a car crash and I was left feeling as I do the next morning when I woke up, like a hangover, really clumsy etc

some other triggers are a virus, pregnancy, giving birth, surgery, other trauma ect

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.