Chronic fatigue since parathyroidectomy, and partial thyroidectomy

Posted , 3 users are following.

I now have no parathyroid glands and this most recent surgery was a redo surgery, of course now I am hypocalcemic which I am on calcium 1500gms 3x per day and calciotrol 0.25mcg 2 xperday. I just recently started on a low dose thyroid replacement due to hypothyroidism from partial thyroidectomy.

From the surgery I have vocal cord paralysis which of course I am SOB when talking at length and any type of exercise, walking causes me to be SOB. I am aware this may go on for several months until the vocal cords wake up. But is the chronic fatigue due to the hypothyroidism and will correct itself after the thyroid medicines kick in. I just want to feel better

Barbara

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I am wondering what kind of thyroid meds you are on? and where you went for the surgery?

I went to the Norman center for parathyroid surgery in January 2019. They removed 1 tumor and a goiter from the half of the thyroid gland that I had left from a previous surgery in 1979. I have had trouble with knowing how much thyroid meds to take . If I take only 1 grain (60mg) of armour thyroid it is not enough and I go into a depression and have extreme fatigue. I now take 90mg a day and feel a lot better. I live in an area where it is extremely hot and this makes me weak. I cannot take Synthroid because it only has T4 and no T3 wich is the activator hormone. My body will not convert the Synthyroid to T3.

• Posted

I am on levothyroxine and i had my surgery at Banner University Hospital. My PCP is treating my hypothyroidism at the moment

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.