Chronic Fatigue Syndrome treatment advice

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi. I was diagnosed with CFS 3years ago, was put straight on Citalopram and I've been on 30mg ever since. TBH I don't want to keep on these as some of the side effects are becoming issues. My symptoms of CFS include the usual fatigue, sleeping problems, aching joints & forgetfulness/concentration problems. Although I've been able to manage on this medication I still have regular lapses & im desperate to find alternative treatment. Can anyone please help?

Ps I also have a 4month old so getting on top of this frustrating condition has never been more important for me.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I am sure people react differently to medication. I went on Citalopram about two years after the CFS diagnosis in the hope that it may help with fatigue...20mg per day. Made no difference. Came off it after some months ...then had a period of depression - went back on it and suffered awful side effects. After two tablets threw the rest away. What helps me most now is getting as much rest as I can (I moved to part-time work last year) and not overdoing it - easier said than done with a young child, I know.
  • Posted

I too am on Citalopram and the side effects initially were awful but I put up with them for about 12 weeks and worked through them and its been worth it as I find they really ehlp how I feel. 

However, getting better from CFS is anoher matter and I am well on the road to recovery, almost feeling normal again. I did it via pacing and learning to say No and not overworking myself. Unless you have someone to help you I fear that with a 4mth old you wont get better because you will always be doing too much. 

• Posted

I suffer from CFS really badly as well and I feel it keeps getting worse.  The only thing I can really recommend is doing a raw/vegan diet for a month (I heard it helps significantly.  I can only get through 2-3 days of it though...), yoga (you can do it at home watching online videos if you are too tired to get out of the house), meditation for energy, have you tried hypnosis?, supplements (CoEnzyme Q10, magnesium at night).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.