Chronic fatigue syndrome undiagnosed

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello,

This is my first post here, forgive me if it's the wrong section it's been posted. 

I will keep this brief. My mum was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis 10 years ago. She's been taking numerous drugs but none have worked for her long term. She was hospilised 2 years ago with sepsis. Dr didn't listen to her attempts to express that she wasn't happy with the drug she was taking, even though she contracted shingles and other symptoms of allergic reaction to the drug. 

She been put through a lot, I feel not really listen to by drs and now she's in a situation where she's on a high dosage of steroids to reduce inflammation.

This moment in time, for the past 3  weeks, she's been extremely exuasted, sleeping 15+ hours day. Doesn't feel she has the energy to do anything. It's such an effort to get out of bed. She's hasn't been able work either. She's crying a lot, no weight gain, no lymph swelling. All blood test are normal.

However, I feel she has chronic fatigue, the Dr thinks its depression and prescriped her Prozac. He said, she's been though a lot and thinks she's mentally hit a wall. I'm still not conveined. When I see her struggling, it's because she hasn't got the engery to do anything. 

I hope this hasn't gone on for too long. I'm just  looking for any advice, experience from anyone who's had this. 

Thank you you very much.

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Rebecca,

You are such a compassionate and caring daughter. I am sorry that your mum is suffering so much. I was wondering if all the medication that your mum has been taking through the years could have depleted her minerals, as the body runs on minerals.

Alot of medication do this to our bodies and doctors don't even care to tells us or they are unaware. I wasn't on any meds before having CFS besides everday stress from work and life. Alot of my tests are always on the low end of normal, never optimal but always in range.

I sometimes wonder if I got my levels in the upper end of normal, would I feel less fatigue. Doctors don't want to hear it, I asked and they tell me I'm in range don't worry about it.

So that is something I am working on right now, pacing and getting better sleep. I am doing audio meditation from an app on my phone for a couple days now and it had helped lift my spirits up. I don't know how to meditate but the step by step audio is amazing.

I hope things start to improve with your mum.

• Posted

Hi Taro,

Thank you. I didn't know that the drugs could deplete minerals from the body. However, I have thought all along, that's my mum's in this position because of all the drugs she's been putting into her body . I know a few users have advised that, perhaps getting the rheumatoid arthritis under control first. But that means more/different drugs.

Alot of my mum's test are normal, or just below too. But still not low enough to question it as a problem. I do feel strongly that she's feeling like this because of all the drugs.

Thank you for your reply. 

• Posted

Back to the Dr's today. Same Dr she has been seeing. He's assured her she will get better and has prescribed her sleeping tablets 😫 Has another appointment next week. She's sat here sighing, no energy not knowing what to do with herself. Dr has advised not to sleep in the day. 

• Posted

I'm so sorry you do not seem to be getting anywhere with these doctors, Rebecca! Hopefully, the sleeping pill will help her sleep better during the night, and in turn, give her more energy during the day. Keeping my fingers crossed that the "right" sleep and rest during the night will start making her feel better in time. Like I said before, although she is in bed a lot, she may not being getting restful sleep and that is why she is drained. Karen

• Posted

Hello, just wanted to post an update.

Mum's been doing slightly better, not much, but a little. Doctors assure it is depression. She's still been prescribed Prozac and she has also seen a psychiatrist, however this is not an ongoing thing. He  is also is confident that it's the correct diagnosis of depression. The psychiatrist isn't  keen on taking too much medication, but focus more on talking about things. Which is nice to hear. 

I'm starting to see glimpses of mum back, which is comforting. Thank you again for your comments and advice. ??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.