Chronic Gallbladder Dysfunction

Posted , 4 users are following.

My HIDA scan results shows my gallbladder EF at 9%. I’m being referred to a general surgeon for evaluation of removal - pretty scared about that. But I’m just wondering and it may be an odd thing to wonder, is this my fault? Is this something that can be avoided or just happens?

P.S. Please no horror stories about surgery or life after removal. Everyone is different. But I have TERRIBLE anxiety and do not want to freak myself out even more. 

Thanks All!

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

From what I've been told it can be genetic, hormonal, or from rapid weight-loss. I wouldn't worry about it being your fault. It seems very common. I felt the same when I first started having problems several weeks ago, but I've had so many friends tell me stories that have helped ease my mind. A lot more people than I realized (that I know or friends family, etc.) have had surgery to remove gallbladder and have very positive "after-stories"... the only bad I have heard are from those who waited too long to address the issue and had emergency situations arise.

I go in on Monday for my surgery. I'm nervous still, but I feel I have a very "normal/expected" amount of nervousness. I'm also pretty positive this is what needs to happen. I hope by posting here you ease your mind.  

• Posted

Hi April, thank you for your reply. My Grammy and Great Grandfather had their gallbladder’s removed so maybe this is a genetic thing. You have definitely helped to ease my mind, I really appreciate that! 

Good luck with your surgery, sending prayers your way!!! Please keep me updated on how you are doing, if you don’t mind to. 

• Posted

I had my surgery last Monday and I'm feeling much more optimistic today. It was an easy surgery, but I read posts from people saying they were back to normal a day or two later. I assumed I would be ready to work again on Thursday - especially since I work from home, but I definitely was not ready.

I was OK to do things like pop into a store for a few groceries, and I felt good enough to move around the house. Sitting at my desk was not good because the incision at my bellybutton and center of my chest were too sore. Not bad, I just couldn't handle more than short amounts of time at the desk. Plus, I was just plain-old not ready to focus on work. Luckily, I have a laid back boss and was able to rest more. Today I'm back to work and feel ready. I know I still have time before I feel back 100% but definitely feeling better.

After waking from the surgery I had some intense tension in my chest, shoulders and neck. It wasn't really a "pain" but the nurse kept treating it like pain and giving me pain meds. I wish I had known that some people experience this from the air they pump into you? I think that's what I was feeling. It was kind of hard to describe but i felt anxious about it because it was unfamiliar which only made it worse. I probably would have felt much better about it if I understood what it was from. Just something to maybe anticipate or hear about. It wasn't "painful" just... a bit intense and unexpected. It went away pretty quickly but by then i was so doped up on pain meds (since the nurse thought i was in pain) that I felt pretty much out-of-it for the rest of the day. Thankful my mom was there to care for me after. I definitely needed the help for the rest of that day and the day after. smile

• Posted

Hi April its going to take you at least 2 weeks before going back to work and even then perhaps you can go back on reduced hours. I didn't go back until week three as I just didn't feel strong enough and even then its a gradual process.

It'll take alot longer for your insides to heal, we're talking months not days as it is major surgery even though its keyhole.

Take it easy, rest up, take meds if you need to and walk around your home and you should be feeling a little better every day. Getting up and walking around helps to disperse  the gas and keeps your blood pumping around your body.

It takes time but don't be in a rush. Take care with your recovery and you'll be fine.

• Posted

Thanks Katherine. I wish the post op info didn't make it sound like I should be back to normal by now. It helps to have a better understanding especially since I tend to be someone who pushes herself unnecessarily when it comes to work and my body. I'm practicing how to "take it easy".

• Posted

You must rest and don't rush it April. I'm the same but this time I had to take it easy or you'll find that your body gives you a bit of pain to remind you that you're not back to normal yet! Don't over stretched or reach out, that hurts I remember that much! 

I'm self employed but I had to give myself time otherwise I'd be off again and make the healing process worse. I didn't want to drive until week 3 even then it felt a bit weird as I didn't want to overstretch my body.

Take care and do things gradually.

• Posted

That is normal your body's readjusting to your new digestive system. Just relax You will be fine you'll experience weird things going on your body that's what I went through for about a year so it's all normal

• Posted

I’m glad you’re doing well April! 

My mom will be down to help me as well. Very grateful for that because I have two little ones.

Do you go back to the surgeon  for a follow up?

Just got an appt set up for my consultation with my surgeon. So I’m pretty nervous.

• Posted

Yes, it’s not until the New Year though but that’s Ok. I’m curious to hear the feedback of what the surgeon found.  
  • Posted

Hi Dev. no its definately not your fault. I was the same my gallbladder was working at 14% and my surgeon told me that the entrance to my gallbladder was very dilated hence why my gallbladder wasn't working very well. I'm a slim, active, healthy, female in my late 40's so this was completely out of the blue for me. I don't smoke and drink very little alcohol. It is more common in women rather than men to have gallbladder problems between your 30's to 50's. You are more prone to have problems with gallstones if you're overweight or it can run in families but mine is none of that.

What symptoms are you having? The surgery itself was far easier than I was expecting and really that was the easy bit!

Keep in touch and let me know what happens. Take care

• Posted

Hi Katherine, thank you for your reply.

I’ve been having pain under my right rib that wraps around to my back. Then it moved up by my right shoulder blade, on the right side of my chest and I sometimes feel it to the right of my belly button. Lots of indigestion as well. My doctor has me on omeprazole, I just started that a couple weeks ago. It has definitely helped with the cramping. 

• Posted

I had similar pain, I found the pain that wraps around to my back and upto my shoulder blades was more continuous than the pain under my ribs. That pain got worse when I had eaten though but I suppose it depends how the gallbladder sits inside you, as we're all different.

I didn't suffer from indigestion, they did put me on omeprazole initially but once I'd had a gastroscopy they found everything in my stomach was fine so I stopped taking them. 

What pain killers are you on? Are you in pain all the time or is it worse at certain points in the day?

I'm the same I suffer from anxiety so they also upped my usual medication and put me onto cocodamol  and naproxen which only really just takes the edge off of the pain when its not too bad. Luckily I didn't have to go to a&e like alot of people on here for pain relief. I did loose alot of weight though for me and I have managed to put some of it on.

How long have you been suffering with this for?

Take care of yourself and if anything gets worse or changes then please go and see your doctor.

xx

• Posted

Yes! My pain is mostly felt on my side and back. When she did my HIDA scan and injected me with the CCK I felt cramping in my back. But it stopped once the injection was done.  Sometimes it shoots up my shoulder but not all the time. I do feel it a lot in my back though. 

I am not on any pain killers. My doctor did give me this medicine for cramping, it starts with an L, levison maybe? It’s a dissolving tablet. Thankfully my pain isn’t constant, it comes and goes.

I have lost over 10lbs since this has started, which was about September of this year. So a few months I’ve been dealing with this. Grateful to have an answer for this pain though! 

Thank you Katherine! Take care of yourself as well!!

• Posted

Hi Dev, they used a different method when I had my HIDA scan I had to drink a cream and milk cocktail, luckily it was very cold obviously it had been laced the the reacting ingredient. My pain got worse as the time went on in the test and in general my pain gradually got worse over time until it was constant and in the need for several painkillers to try to take the edge off rather than taking the pain away.

Yes I remember relief when I found out my gallbladder wasn't working, I finally had some answers for the months of not being able to eat very much and feeling awful.

How are you feeling this week? Have you heard when you're going to see the surgeon yet?

Keep me updated with everything. 

• Posted

Well I’m thankful I didn’t have to drink milk, I do not like milk at all LOL. 

This week I’m doing okay, pain here and there. I’ve been feeling it a lot by my right shoulder blade and on the right side of my chest though. Thank you for asking smile.

Unfortunately I have not received a call from the surgeon yet. Hopefully I will get a call before the end of the week. My mom keeps asking me about a date so she can come stay and help, which is great, but I’m pretty scared  so I’m not wanting to rush the surgery. Sounds crazy because of course I want to feel better but the whole idea of surgery just makes me extremely anxious sad.

I will certainly keep you updated Katherine, thank you again ❤️

• Posted

Don't worry easy surgery. After surgery I didn't have any pain. Just go on low fat diet forever, you'll be fine.

• Posted

Hi Dev, yes I think that pain in the shoulder blade is the most annoying. I know how you feel about surgery, it is very scary. I'd never had an operation before and its the unknown of how we're going to feel when actually the surgery part for me wasn't that difficult but I had great nurses looking after me as I was quite sick afterwards. I still went home the same day just a bit later than normal.

Just remember its major surgery so don't rush things afterwards let your body heal at the speed it needs to which will be longer for the inside and then you'll be fine. If you work go back part time if you can, I had 3 weeks off then part time as it will make you very tired but thats the natural healing process. Still keep food simple after surgery as you're keeping your body healthy and re-introduce those foods that we love but have had to cut out but not all at the same time. 

I can eat any food now but I'm still very careful with anything with alot of fat in it or very spicy food as the gallbladder has gone food doesn't doesn't get the amount of bile needed to break down the fat but you'll learn that as you move forward.

It was this time of year when I got my results so I saw the surgeon the first week in Jan but because of his commitments they couldn't do the surgery until 1st March but hopefully you'll have it soon.

Keep me posted, apologies for not writing sooner and let me know when you get a date. Take care xx

• Posted

No need to apologize! I post so much on here I can’t keep track with replying.

Still didn’t hear anything from surgeon, so I’m wondering how long this could take. I feel like a lot of people I’ve chatted with who have had it removed waited a long time for surgery. I’m nervous about that but what can I do? I’m used to the waiting game LOL. 

I’ve felt pretty nasty these past couple of days. I feel like I’m getting sick but I wonder if it’s just my gallbladder. I haven’t felt much pain other than my upper back and by my shoulder blade, lots of nausea and fatigue. Praying I’ll feel better tomorrow! 

• Posted

I know when I was diagnosed around this time my gastro spoke to the surgeon and then I got a call from the booking team for the surgeon. I would hope that you'll get a call soon unfortunately xmas does make things more awkward. It shouldn't take too long for surgery once you've seen the surgeon. I know the waiting is awful as things don't get better until you  have the surgery, make sure you get some pain relief if things get worse though. You'll see the surgeon and then need to have an pre op appointment prior to surgery. Once you've had the pre op it really shouldn't be very long before you have the op.

I understand the waiting game, I've got to have nerve block injections again but it probably won't be until Jan/Feb and I would so like to have minimum of pain this xmas as last year I couldn't do very much, at least I can eat this year!

Keep in touch with everything and make sure you go back if anything gets worse or new symptoms appear, that might push your surgery sooner and anything is worth a try to get back to normal.

Take care x

• Posted

Sending prayers your way Katherine!! 

I finally received a call from the surgeon’s office this afternoon. My consultation is the 19th, so yay for that! 

• Posted

I wonder if it would be a good idea to write down some questions to ask? 
    • Posted

Hi Dev, oh thats good. I know your finally feel as though there's an end in sight when you get a date! When I had my meeting with the surgeon it was very short and sweet, the nurse came in to get all the back ground information then passed it onto him, then he came we spoke briefly and that was it so don't expect miracles. It was very matter of fact but I suppose he sees so many people and most he never sees again except for on the operating table. I must say though when I saw him a month after my surgery he was really nice and had alot more time to speak to me as he wanted to know if I was still in pain as I've mentioned they thought I would still have some pain afterwards.

Yes write down some questions if you have any, its always useful as I completely forget everything if I don't write it down.

Take care of yourself over the holiday period and keep me updated with everything. x

• Posted

Hi again Katherine. 

Sorry for taking so long to reply back!

I have a surgery date of Jan 26th. Didn’t expect it to be so soon but I guess the sooner the better LOL. 

My consultation went well. My surgeon has had his out for 25 years and he’s been doing these surgeries for 16 years. So I feel comfortable with him but of course still anxious about everything.

I mentioned the pain by my upper right shoulder and he said he doesn’t think that’s associated with the gallbladder. So I’m not sure what is going on with that. Probably muscles since I deal with upper back and neck aches a lot. 

Hope you’re doing well and have a Merry Christmas! 

• Posted

He did say that there isn’t any rush to have the surgery done but the nurses said something about having it done within 30 days of him seeing me.

Also, my follow up is a little over a week after the surgery. I wonder if he’ll see me again after that? I didn’t even think to ask 🙈

• Posted

Hi Dev, thats great that you've got a date, I know its nerve racking but generally it'll get worse if you don't have it done.

Oh that sounds as though you've got a good surgeon then, that does make all the difference. You'll see him on the day of your op anyway as you have to sign a disclaimer as usual, but he'll also answer any questions that you have. I had his assistant surgeon come in and speak to me as well and she did the stitching up afterwards so mine was really neat. 

It can be gallbladder causing the pain in the shoulder as referred pain, if you look it up referred pain and select images it'll should you and a gp I know said its right near a major nerve so always causes a few problems if your gallbladder is playing up. See what happens after surgery as I still get that pain and its related to my nerve entrapment thats in my abdo because of the way the nerves travel through the body.

How are you doing at the moment with all the xmas festivities, I know I found it really hard, as everything is so rich I could hardly eat anything but I got through it and you will too. I still have to be careful how much rich good I eat as that can upset your insides  as you haven't got that storage vessel for bile anymore but thats not such a bad thing!!

Let me know how things are, I may not be around all the time but I will get back to you eventually!

Try and relax as being tense won't do your muscles any good as they'll tense up causing pain.

Take care and enjoy the break as much as you can. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.