Chronic gastritis, can it turn into something more???

Posted , 9 users are following.

I've had this condition for five years now, and though I try to manage it as I can with Rabeprazole in the morning I can't seem to wean off it. The chief symptom is a burning sensation in the stomach during meals. If I take 10 or 20 mg of Rabeprazole in the morning I can stay symptomless, but if I don't, then I experience a burning sensation which can be spread in the upper abdomen or localised below the left ribcage. I do have perennial stress in my life, and a horrible family and economic situation does little to help that. I don't experience much pain or much of any other symptom, just the burning unless I take the Rabeprazole which I'm trying to wean off ever since I discovered it can harm the kidneys. 5 years, but I keep worrying whether I will end up with cancer or anything.

I've had an H. Pylori blood test this year, the first time in 5 years, and it did not find anything. I've shelved the idea of an endoscopy away for long enough but plan on getting it done. My question is, if one does not have any H. Pylori but still has chronic gastritis, how can one cope with it without having to take PPIs and stuff which can damage the kidneys and stuff? What diet should I follow? If one has chronic gastritis without H. Pylori, does that mean they will end up with cancer someday? 

I thank you all for your time, patience, and aid.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Avoid the following foods when you have gastritis.  Stick to a fibre rich diet and include foods like apples,and celery.  The prognosis s good and most heal quickly once you start treatment.

Coffee.

Alcohol.

Tea, both black and green.

Spicy foods, including chili and curries.

Black and red pepper.

High-fat foods, because they increase the acid in your stomach.

All high-fat dairy products, except skim milk and low-fat cheese.

Tomatoes, onions, and garlic.

Chocolate.

• Posted

Any issue where you have prolonged inflammation can increase your risks of cancer, but i believe they are minimal.

If you don't have h pylori but still have chronic gastritis then something else is triggering your symptoms. Mine was alcohol and I had to cut it out completely in the end, but it is worth being better.

A low acid / fat / dairy diet is key to healing. And cook your vegetables if you can as raw veg (especially greens) can irritate a sensitive stomach.

• Posted

I've had Gastritis before and I was told to stop the alcohol but stupid me would think if I only drink once a week it would be okay but that's not case as I now have Chronic Gastritis and it's really unbearable right now and saw Doctor and said to me to just waited out.Its been all most 5 days now and hopefully this will clear out by this Friday. I know now that alcohol is OUT of my life. Someone mention to me I should try Acupuncture but we'll see.Glad u figure it out about the Alcohol.

• Posted

I do miss it but it really irritated my stomach. The doc says I may be able to have it in time to come but for now it's out my diet !

The stomach takes many months and even years sometimes to heal. And I think mine will always be sesntive

• Posted

Went to the Emergency room tonight ,could not stand the pain.Blood samples came back negative , have to wait till tmrw for the H-Pylori test.Will be making an appointment tmrw with an Gastroenterologist to see if there's anything down there that I should be concern of.My doctor said it would get better by this Friday but I just don't see it.Any advice for me would be very helpful at this time and thanks Paul.

• Posted

Stress is a huge factor I had the h pylori bacteria and now have a bad case of gastritist I started to let google diagnose me and began to panic every single symptom for cancer i was feling is all state of mind. Spock to my doctor and he began to treat me for anxiety and I'm happy to say all those symptoms when away and even the gastritist is better I could be all day without pain or burning in my stomach.

Best of luck to you

• Posted

What kind of anxiety medicine was prescribed for u.Glad u feeling better and that's my hope for me.

• Posted

Ah! It is so nice to have all of your answers, I will definitely abide by these guidelines! Thank you so very much! I wish you all health and joy! 
  • Posted

can i prescribe you some medicines ??
    • Posted

Do you mean recommend ? You can't prescribe him some medicines unless you're a doctor !

• Posted

Yes definitely! I require all the help that I can get with this, so please, feel free!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.