Chronic gastro issue

Posted , 6 users are following.

Having an endoscopy 1st Dec

Last two weeks omeprazole just stopped working after a year of use with no issues

Now have constant gurggling in stomach, throat tightening, isssue swallowing, acid reflux, burning in back of throat near sinus area, gagging alot.

Doctor thinks it may be barrets syndrome.

Had taken alot of antibiotics and on prednisone long term

Tried to increase omeprazole as suggested oh my life made it worse

So tried pantrapazole wow that was not good at all

Ended up with trapped gas and extreme gas build up, felt really dizzy and like my stomach was frozen and not doing anything. I  woke up twice in night with acid reflux and then extreme nausea in the morning

Got told to try ranitidine

So scared to try anything as i am sensitive to new drugs

Even react to anti histamines

Tried 25mls of this aloe vera dietary supplement today to try to heal up whatever has eroded my insides

So down and tired.

The gas buld up is scary as it causes me issues in breathing

Hoping i can find a management plan

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I hope your endoscopy next week finds what is going on. And I hope your gastroenterologist is more clued up than your doctor.

Barrett's is not a syndrome, it's a metaplastic change in the cellular lining of the oesophagus replacing the squamous cells with columnar ones that are less sensitive to acid attack. Barrett's has no symptoms.

You may have become used to omeprazole, which frequently happens. Usually  trying an alternative, eg pantoprazole, helps. Ranitidine isn't so good at suppressing acid as the PPIs but may work.

Aloe Vera is a demulcent. Like putting cream on a cut, it will soothe it but not heal it. It can also cause more mucous to be produced which has a protective effect on the oesophagus.

• Posted

I got put on domperidone to stop the horrendous gas build up and breathing issues awhile ago and it resolved it but  the pantrapazole brought it back last night when i tried it. And it was like my stomach had gone into a freeze spam of not able to get rid of gas or anything  So is the aloe vera any good or not a good idea?
  • Posted

Have you looked at what you are eating. e.g. I can't drink more than one fizzy drink a day otherwise I get terrible gas build up and it upsets my stomach
    • Posted

I am not eating havent  been able to or two weeks and never drink fizzy or eat spices or fatty foods etc. Stopped that years ago.
  • Posted

It could also be a shortage of acid in the stomach. That's what I had. I see some (but not all) similarities with my problems. Year of use of PPI. If you upgrade PPI your problems get worse. Might be because you already have low acid. I got pantapazole, which made it worse. I had thes gas building up in stomach. So i tappered off PPI 2 weeks ago. I already feel 90% better. No more sore throat, no more frozen stomach, no more nausea in the morning. Only problem for now is the acid rebound, so I get heartburns I didn't have before, but that's also becoming less and less by the day. It especialy hard the first week (but for some people even the first 2 to 4 weeks), but that's a phase you have to go trough.

There are a lot of home tests for low acid you could try. But the doctors can also give you even better tests. If this PPI usage is your problem, than it might get away easier than you would thought.

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Thankyou i am thinking it is low acid also so presume i can treat that naturally without the PPIs and hopefully everything will then heal and settle.
  • Posted

Good Luck with your test on the 1st ... Endoscopy isnt pleasant but it is quick and will give doctors instant look at whats going on in there , also they will probably take a biopsy while in there which hopefully will rule out Barrets , Im guessing a lot of your problems now are due to no medication .. as soon as my endoscopy was done I went home and took my Esomeprazole ( Nexium) straight away and some ranitadine ... I am awaiting a copy of letter consultants are writing to my GP to tell them results of Endoscopy , manometry and 24hr PH tests and what they suggest for me , which is Fundoplication as Ive discussed it with consultant and wast ready to give definate answer but am now and awaiting letter so I can phone hospital and book myself in ... hopefully in the new year ...
    • Posted

Thankyou for your reply. I have had an endoscopy ten years ago and will opt for sedation as yes they arent pleasant at all. I am taking my omeprazole again at 10mgs got some degas and trooping it through until the 1st Dec. Hoping for some answers and away to get this all under management and control or even cure so i can have a life again. Not keen to try anymore new meds at this stage as the reaction to pantrapazole lasted right through until 1230pm last night a whole 28hours.Thanks again and best of luck to you also. Hope the surgery works for you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.