Chronic gastro issues severely effecting mental health

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all,  I apologize in advance for how long this may be. I have multiple chronic health problems that are really taking a toll on me and I feel like there are few answers, fewer testaments and almost no relief. I'm at my wits end. 

To begin I have bile reflux disease I was diagnosed with about a year ago. Additionally I have delayed gastric emptying, gastric ulcers and  gastritis, along with pelvic floor function issue, ovarian cysts and suspected endometriosis (more on that later).

I'm on omperazol 20mg q 24h ac, zantac 150mg bid, and gas x tid ac, as well as zofran prn. I have tried a few probiotics that didn't seem to help much considering their cost. I don't have great eating habits but I have changed them significantly last year when I was very ill. I was feeling better but now it seems no matter what the flare ups are random and include both upper GI pain, bloating, burning, and nausea. I use to have chronic diarrhea and since staring these meds I seem to have constipation issues (especially taking zofran for more than two days in a row). 

I know the pelvic floor issue comes into play too. I recently came off birth control that was making my symptoms worse. I'm glad it's gone but I now have my period 2-3x a month which makes my GI flare. They won't put me back on anything because I get aural migraines and told me I am at risk for stroke (23y/o F). My OBGYN seems to be pushing me towards an IUD but I am uncomfortable with the idea because she also suspects endo...and I haven't gotten a biopsy because I asked if I went under for that, would she preform tubal ligation? The answer was naturally no, as it has been with my last three Gino's (that's a whole different issue though).

I feel like my normal days are so rare lately. The icing on the cake is my bipolar 2. Afraid of meds because everything makes me nauseous, but the flare ups inhibit me from living my life. I have been severely anxious over the last six months, and severely depressed the last six weeks. I feel like there is no relief, ever.  I am either sleeping for 15+ hours or awake for days (it's 4:45a as I write this). The toll on my already unstable mental health is becoming unbearable. I feel like a shell of a person and I'm truly so lost and don't know what to do or where to turn to. Anyone else experiencing this cocktail of problems?  Thanks in advance.

Liv 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi livgreeley

Have you ever been tested for the stomach bacteria Helicobacter Pylori?..a common stomach bacteria that lives in the gut wall and duodenum and causes severe acid reflux, pain, gastritis and diahorreah......

• Posted

Hi; yes, I have, negative both times. I also requested to be tested for a couple other intestinal parasites because I work with animals, all negative. Bloodwork is negative, small polyp on my gallbladder that has stayed the same for 3+ years with no changes at all. Biopsies from endoscopy showed out inflammation, pictures just showed significant bike build. All sorts of bloods have been normal except for mild anemia 
    • Posted

Hi livgreeley

You mentioned in your reply you showed mild anemia this could also indicate B12 deficiency which can cause the symptoms you describe plus the fatigue..have you had your B12 levels tested? deficiency usually accompanies anemia slight or otherwise. B12 levels are not automatically checked with complete blood count the doc has to request it. Your gastro problems will block B12 absorption.....get your B12 checked....best wishes...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.