Chronic gastrointestinal pain

Posted , 7 users are following.

I write this as my partner is in hospital yet again!!

I met her 8 years ago when she was 32 years old. She had some gastrointestinal issues as well as IBS. Her condition and pain is awful to witness. She has been on lansoperazol, ompeprazole, buscopan, trammodol , paracetamol, dihydrocodine, bucostem, cyclizene, suppositories, etc etc. she is slim but eats almost twice what I eat, and cannot gain weight.. She smokes occasionally but only drinks alcohol with a meal.

She has had scans, endoscopes, (upper and lower) X-rays, bariums etc etc.

nearly 2 years ago she had a nissen fundiplication operation, which twists the stomach slightly and stitches it to the esophegas to stop acid coming up. Initially too tight, (she couldn't eat), they loosened it which worked for a while.. She has gone 9 months without an episode and was 5 months free until she was asked to have another endoscopy last Tuesday.. She took some promote as instructed to clean out her system, which made her violently ill both ends. All they do in A&E is give her morphine, ( nothing else works) and then send her home. 4 times I have took her to A&E in 48 hours. She is staying in, for yes, you guessed it, more tests. Absolutely unbelievable!!!! One doctor half suggested that she may be seeking morphine and that's why it repeats. I nearly fell off my chair. What an absolute idiot!!! Some, not all of these doctors do not want to listen or understand, and if you mention the Internet and research that you have done yourself, it's like an insult to some of them. You can almost see the shutters go up as soon as you mention it?

One clue which I have told them is that the pain, starts from the belly button and comes up the esophegas and it is like a raging fire. She is like this for hours at a time and she just sits in a scolding shower crying. The shower eases the pain somehow, don't ask me how? The other vital clue is that she knows when the acid is taking over. She eats constantly and can't leave her stomach empty for long.. She has 2 breakfasts, lunch and a snack later, dinner and supper and she grazes between each meal. The next clue, 95% of the time she is ill first thing in the morning, and at no other time. This explains why she constantly eats. Obviously you can't eat when you're asleep which is why she wakes nauseas and on fire. Whilst in hospital on occasion she meets someone who suffers similarly and some set there alarm for the middle of the night and eat arrowroot biscuits so they don't wake in pain. Can anyone offer any help or advice at all please?

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thanks,

maybe not a fast metabolizer after all??.....metabolic absorption may be in play. If  a 100lb female  eats a high caloric intake ..lets say 4000...eats fats and oils...no athletic exercise and  yet doesn't gain any weight....just absorbing only what's been established to maintain her specific homeostasis ( cabolic and anabolic process). So, it this instance...good news....a huge plus for the two of you..... the cabolizatiion of  food stuff  first by enzymes, then by chemical process provides energy to the cells and one feature of the anabolic process is discrimination of what's good (ok to absorb) and what's not and sends it trucking out the back door. This is a huge field of study...I've only "skimmed" to acquire an understanding...not much else....*btw there is a citric acid cycle within the catabolic or anabolic process or both?.....Claudio....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.