Chronic groin, piriformis, sciatic pain

Posted , 9 users are following.

I've had chronic pain in my right groin for about 2 years. The pain is difficult to pinpoint when palpating, but always seems to be more anteriomedial. Sometimes I get other aches in my adductors.

Initially I was pain free during sport, but felt my groin was tight when I cooled down. The tightness would be gone the next day. After a few weeks of this the tightness became painful, and eventually I broke down when turning in training, and no matter how much I rested, as soon as I turned in training again I would break down.

I was diagnosed with sportsman's hernia (no scans to confirm this), and had an operation which the doctor said was successful. I have not had any pain relief though.

Since then I have had MRI which has not shown any muscle damage, diagnostic facet joint injections which didn't seem to help too much, arthrogram on my hip which showed no labral tear.

I'm being told this is not related but I also have piriformis pain, sciatic pain, lower back pain all on my right hand side and a pain approximately 1 inch to the right of my navel. It is also uncomfortable to lie on my right hand side.

This is also greatly affecting me mentally as I used to be very active, but now cannot walk longer than 30 minutes without losing the function of my leg, and any sport is out of tthe question. I cannot do my job properly and it is affecting my relationship and also my social life. All in all I'm thoroughly depressed.

All professionals I've seen seem ready to give up on me and have simply told me to get on with it and take painkillers, but the fact is I'm 27 years old and cannot live the rest of my life on pain medication and unable to do the things I enjoy doing or my job.

Any advic or asistance would be greatly appreciated as I'm struggling to cope.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I would do a lot of gluteus medius and piriformis and hip flexor/groin stretches, whilst also getting regular massage on these muscles. I would do this for a period of 3 weeks or so and see if the massage and stretching routine has an effect. It sounds like it needs some intensive treatment.
  • Posted

I also suffered from piriformis syndrome and trigger points in my gluteus medius, to the point that I could not run for 5 seconds or walk for more than an hour. Rotating my leg was also really painful in the groin.

What really helped me pinpoint the problem was dry needle therapy, a lot(!) of stretching (piriformis stretch/pidgeon pose etc.) combined with releasing my trigger points at home with a lacrosse ball. For me, sitting all day in a desk chair was really making it worse, and making sure my glutes got lazy. I changed my working desk to a standing one, and after doing all of this, I recovered within a month, to the point I could started running again!

• Posted

Hi

I have the same issue, waiting for a hernia op but don't think that's going to fix anything

I have been on anti inflammatorys for 2 years with this problem

Managed to get rid of it for a year and play a full football season now it's come back

How I feel is first my lower back gets tight then my right groin gets sore then I start getting sharp pains when I kick or sprint

My right glute won't fire so it's hard getting that to fire

Glute work seems to help

In my opinion if you go to see a chiropractor you will find that your pelvis isn't straight

Am in the same boat really and it's difficult as you just want answers

I would get your pelvis looked at then loosen your piraformous with a hockey ball and spend a lot of time doing activation exercises for your glute

It's odd I got rid of it first time by having my back straightened and keeping loose with massage and hydrotherapy

I would love to here how your getting on with it now please reply

Kane

• Posted

Hey Lazzaro, not sure if you're still following this thread or not but it sounds to me like you have something called Athletic Pubalgia, which previously was known as a sports hernia but it's not a true hernia. I had surgery from Dr. Vincent Meyers at the Vincera institute. Unfortunately I think I reinjured it after two years because I've been very sick with Lyme disease and inactive since my surgery. I'd check it out I'd I were you though!

• Posted

I have had this for the past 8 weeks and longer I think but diagnosed today.  Ive been told its my body position causing it and need to see a physio for exercises plus Ive been put on gabapentin.  My stature is wrong because I have perm dizziness and walk around looking down all the time so I dont fall.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.