Chronic Headache for 4 months, 24/7 - Desperate

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hoping for any advice at all regarding my unusual chronic headache. I have had a chronic headache for 4 months. Its characteristics:

-Came on gradually over the course of a week

- Unilateral (L side), primarily in temple, but shooting through left eye, sinus and teeth

- Constant. The pain has not gone away or moved for even a few minutes within 4 months

- Spikes. Always at a level 3-4/10, with intermittent periods of pain at levels 7-8. Spikes of pain last a few hours, and seem concentrated within a few days. I.e., pain will be at a 4 for a week, and then will be up to an 8 for several days in a row.

- Not associated with nausea, light/sound sensitivity, auras, or other migraine symptoms

My medical history: 27-yr old female with overall good health but some emotional issues. Currently on Wellbutrin for depression, Lamictal for mood swings, Xanax as needed for panic attacks, and birth control (Yaz). Mental health well-managed with therapy and drugs. History of B12 deficiency that has been resolved. No history of headache.

The pain has been completely unresponsive to all analgesics. No medicine has caused even slight relief. Have been given:

-NSAIDS: aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen, indomethacin, nabumetone, diclofenac (Cambia)

-Triptans: sumatriptan, relpax

-Barbiturates: Fiorinal

-Muscle relaxants: cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril)

-Acupuncture and pain-relief meditation exercises

As no medicine has broken the headache cycle, preventative headache medicines have been limited. Took Topirimate (Topamax) for one month, discontinued due to lack of response and side effects (breakthrough bleeding due to reaction with birth control pill). Last night I began taking Nortriptyline.

Diagnostic tests / conditions that have been ruled out:

- MRI with and without contrast (normal)

- MRV without contrast (normal - no thrombosis)

- Endoscopy of sinuses (normal)

- Tooth examination, dental X-rays (normal)

- Chiropractic exam (normal)

- Tooth grinding: my teeth showed signs of mild grinding, I have been given a night-guard for 3 months, with no relief; not TMJ

- Nerve function tests / electromyography (normal)

No patterns have been identified to cause headache:

- Stress or anxiety (headache still killer when relaxed, including with Xanax)

- Foods (no food, alcohol identified to trigger headache)

- Hormones/specific times of month (no change)

- Weekdays vs weekends (no change)

- Location (have travelled with headache for 2 weeks at time, with no change, so likely not environmental)

- Medicine (was taken off birth control for a few weeks with no change; ditto with Wellbutrin; have not been taken off Lamictal as it is not known to cause headache)

- Medicine withdrawal (as no analgesic has been taken regularly)

- Major life change (nothing happened in August to trigger headache)

- Sleep patterns (headache is the same with both more and less sleep)

- Exercise (no change w and w/o exercise)

- Time of day (headache present upon waking, throughout day, in evenings, at bedtime, when waking in middle of night)

Therapist and psychiatrist do not suspect psychosomatic pain, due to persistence, lack of emotional triggers, and lack of response to any treatment (even placebo effect).

Access to excellent healthcare, currently seeing excellent neurologist biweekly. Have sought 2nd opinions. She was optimistic that this was Hemicrania Continua, but the headache was unresponsive to indomethican (50 and 100mg).

Right now my only diagnosis is "persistent headache." Doctor's current proposed next steps:

- Steroids (prednisone for a week in hopes of breaking headache cycle)

-Continued diagnostics (MRA of brain to look for possible aneurysm

- Elimination diet (i.e. diet cutting wheat, processed foods, dairy, etc and then slowly adding them back)

Please - do you have any other ideas about possible medicines, triggers, diagnoses, tests? I am missing work and social obligations due to this headache and doctor appointments. It's really harming my quality of life.

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I also have had a persistent headache since February. I was very shocked when reading your amount of drugs and tests you've had in 4 months. I have had a MRI which was clear and told that's as far as they will go for testing me on behalf of a persistent headache. So you've had a brilliant treatment plan, so firstly you should feel happy that everything is normal but then you still have the pain which is the most annoying part! Your pain sounds similar to mine and for the first months of this, I was emotionally and physically drained, it was all I thought about. In 4 months you've had a lot of medications which many of them need to be taken for long periods of time to see an impact. I currently have gave up on tablets prescribed by the doctor as they do not help me. The best thing honestly I have found is to try get on with life and put it to the back of your mind. When I stress about it and get worried or upset it can increase to a 8/10 pain very quickly. Massage could be great for you if it's stress related, have you had an eye test? My boyfriend knows someone to takes riboflavin b2 vitamin and it can be very beneficial to chronic headaches which I am going to try! I'm sorry I could not be more helpful, but your not alone! And it seems you have great healthcare , good luck and I hope your better soon!

• Posted

To me it seems you have Trigeminus Neuralgia or Clusterheadache.

Does it hurt to touch/brusch the side of your head?

Do you get triggered after drinking something very cold (icecream) or hot (like tea)?

Does your nose run 'water' once in a while?

Know that all those medicine you got can also cause headaches....

• Posted

Hi dear.

I too have a same problem. None of the doctors or the nerologysts that I went to could tell me what I am dealing with.

But at least you had an normal brain MRI but mine was not. They found several tiny white spots on both of my frontol lobs which didn't concern them at all. Six nerologysts told me that I do not have MS or anything else. But the pain that I am dealing with oys not also beacuse of the spots.

However I've been suffering from left side pain for years. The worse part is when the pain shoots up to the left side of my face. It goes up to the left eye and makes it fevers, watery and burning. My eyebrow and my whole forehead gets painful as well.

Here is my story too.

I am counfused over this pain. It's been years that I am suffering from this stiffness. At first it began from the back of my left shoulder then it reached the left side of my neck then upper left side of my jaw got little swollen then inside of left ear got painful then it reached my left eye and left upper side of my skual.

Recently when I try to swallow my food I feel pain inside of my throth specially in the left side. Also the eye pain got worse with this stiffness beacuse when I lie on the left side I can see the black shadow in the left eye that goes away slowly when I sit up.

This pain and stiffness doesn't stop there it radiate to my left arm, left hand, left breast, left leg and all the way down to my left foot. Sometimes my left foot gets so much painful that I should massage it with the ball hoping to reales the pain. When this pain radiates to the left side of my scalp it makes it very sensitive to touch and the only thing that I do is to pull and hold some of my hair to reslase the pain.

I am constantly massaging my left side from up to down. The peack and head part gets more massage. I really don't know what I am suffering from I just know that when I get stressed out this pain gets worse.for this reason I did many blood works to see if I have any inflammation, immune system problem, Ciliac or lupes and all came back fine thank god. Doctors don't know what's wrong and look at me puzzeled. I am afraied that it might be life threatening condition beacuse of the involvement of the beach, head and eye. I keep thinking that what if it's blocking my blood flow to my eye and that is why I see the black shadow or it stops the blood flow to the left part of my head. I am so confused. Please let me know if anyone of you have suffered the same problem and if yes what did the dr say. by the way, I am 38 years old.

• Posted

Hi dear, I'm sorry to say I am where you are and have been for 6 years. My good day is an 8. I live on Dilaudid. We are working on determining what pain med to use in an implanted pain pump. I do suggest you try botox and getting your daiths pierced in your ears. I know at this point you will try anything. I have. They will likely help for awhile. For me it was months. God bless and I'll pray for you.

• Posted

Hi, I know this post is 7 months old, just wondering how you got on and did you get a diagnosis, my sister is suffering the same symptoms and we are completely at a loss as to what to do
  • Posted

I would suggest that everyone here look into have a possible sporadic CSF leak. Especially if the symptoms ease up when you lie down.
  • Posted

I had two months of persistent tension headaches including migraine like symptoms, tried chiro, painkillers, and diet changes to no avail. Turns out it was caused by strain and shortening of the muscles at the base of my skull, likely from stress and sitting at a desk. Took two tennis balls, put them in a sock, and rolled out the muscles at the base of the skull/neck and completely relieved it. Worth a shot.
  • Posted

I have the same symptoms and my headaches have gone on for 4months now. 

I know it’s been a few years now but what was the result of your headache pain? 

• Posted

I have had headaches 24/7 for 8 months now. Are you still experiencing them also?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.