Chronic headaches

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have had headaches my whole life, but it seems that within the past year they have gotten worse. I would rate the pain in previous years as about a 4-5, and recently more like a 9-10. One day I had to stay home from work and even asked my husband to take me to the hospital. I have had doctors say I have tension headaches, sinus headaches, hormonal headaches, and even headaches related to the barometric pressure in the air...

I have tried massage, chiropractor, muscle relaxers, and prescription pain meds of all sorts. I also have seen an ear, nose and throat doctor and got a CT scan which was completely normal. He told me to see a neurologist which I guess is my next step. He also told me that some people just get headaches and there's not much we can do about it. 

Has anyone else recieved this advice from a doctor? I was convinced I was having sinus heaches because it felt like a lot of pressure going on, but the CT scan was completely normal so now I am basically at square one. I also have low progesterone and read online that this can cause headaches, too. My gyno disagreed of course.

Any advice or help anyone can provide would be SO appreciated. I have found that we need to be our own health advocates and not rely on doctors all the time. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Did u ever have an allergy test ? Ours were negative but it's worth a try . my 15 year son has them for years some days debilitating missed school ect .some one suggested here primrose once a day for a month which were trying .weve tried everything to reduce headaches limited dairy, organic food, steamers in the shower ,rest,Chiro,

When it gets real bad we take Azithromycin 250 mg once a day for three days it tends to reduce the pressure in the sinuses around the eyes above the eyebrows and cheekbones .he has "no infection" but it does help. Hope your better and this small amount of info helps .were going to have the sinuses expanded with the balloon next month

• Posted

Hi, I'm sorry that you're having trouble with headaches, I can empathise, I'm stuck with mine, probably forever. At least I know the cause of mine (a common after effect of cetebrovascular surgery, of all things).

I had a fair few problems with headaches, as a young adult. I happened to read an article, which said that, the commonest, single cause of headaches for women, was dehydration. This did turn out to be the case for me, so I was fine for years. My next repeating headache problem turned out to be that I'd become allergic to my cats. My Dr prescribed a steroid nasal spray and it's made all the difference.

Weirdly, the headaches I'm stuck with (my Dr says it's mild hydrocephalus!) frequently only abates when I tilt my head forward, so I'm looking at the floor and swivel my head from side to side. I must look bloody ridiculous, but it helps when they're really bad. Do keep trying different things, try anything safe, it might turn out that something unexpected helps you.

Good luck!

• Posted

Good dayAitter

When I look at what you wrote it is like looking into a mirror.  I have gone through it all was told it's stress - its hormone imbalance - its early menopause - even put on antidepressants but still every day of my life suffer with headaches sometimes manageable other times I can’t open my eyes.  feel that I am just wasting my time going to doctors.  It has taken over my life made me feel weak and a burden to my self

• Posted

amen to that last bit! doctors are all mostly just shills for the pharmaceutical industry these days(wether they know it or not).  if you had had this problem in the 1920's you would have been prescribed histamine desensitization.  it works well and is extremely cheap to make and un-patentable(pharmaceutical histamine is made from lemons).

i have been headache free for over 14 months after suffering terribly for over a decade by using this treatment.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.