Chronic hepatitis C

Posted , 4 users are following.

Wondering if anyone knows about these lab numbers I have. One of the test/lab that shows how many viruses in blood. Dr. Said that a number of 15 is normal and mine which he said is serious and very high is 680,000 viruses present in mine. Can anyone tell me anything about this. Currently in process of finishing up final lab work, now biopsy ordered. I hope I can get treatment started as soon as possible to get rid of this or under control.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello.

Your viral load is now quite high, but the effectiveness of treatment does not play any role. The main thing is to have a stable viral response. In different laboratories, the sensitivity of the PCR test system ranged from 10 UI / mL to 50 UI / mL. the higher the sensitivity, the better. All the failures in the therapy of hepatitis C are associated with mutations in the virus, which leads to low sensitivity to the drugs. In my practice (and this is 247 patients) there were cases when the virus with the mutation reproduced very slowly and the level of the viral load was 12 UI / ml. This low level of the virus was able to catch only the test system with a sensitivity of 10 UI / mL. But such complications arise in 10% of cases.

• Posted

Actually, your viral load is not considered high.Viral load can flactuate and is not necessarily e measure of liver damage. I get theh impression that you have been diagnosed recently. Get in touch with the Hep C Trust, their helpline can give you all the information you need and perhaps reassure you as well. Why are you going for a biopsy and not a fibroscan, which is a non invasive procedure that is now used more commonly than the biopsy? Current antiviral therapies hold a 90-95% success rate and they are very short, 8-12 weeks.
  • Posted

I agree with the comment above, in that it is better to replace the liver biopsy with fibroscan. Or even make a biochemical method of determining the degree of fibrosis. In the treatment of direct antiviral drugs, the main role in the effectiveness of therapy is played by the genotype of the virus, and the degree of fibrosis affects therapy with the Metavir F4 scores. F0-F3 do not contribute to the treatment regimen.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.