Chronic Hives (3 Months) Looking for advice

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been dealing with chronic hives for 3 months now, it all started after a sinus infection from a cold way back in September. I remember I took a mucinex to help with my sinus infection and I suddenly felt itchy and discovered hives forming on my arms and legs which then became rash patches. Usually around 2 or 3 rash patches will form and then go away. After they go away another 2 or 3 rash patches come up. I've been taking Cetirizine & methylprednisolone for it. I first started with the 6 day pack and it worked really well, but it never stopped my hives from appearing it just prevented them from becoming a rash. After I was finished with the 6 day pack it returned bad. My doctor is putting me on 1 daily methylprednisolone pill. It didn't stop it so I've been also taking Cetirizine. That worked out really well for awhile but now its not working that much anymore.

Just a hour ago I started to get hives on my arm and I went to check on the rash patch I have on my leg and it was a deep purple. I took another Cetirizine and in just a couple of mins my leg rash was pretty much gone (a couple of red specs). Has anyone or does anyone know why its this constant pattern of one going away and another appearing? 

I'm going to my doctors Friday and if there are any certain treatments or things I should ask to check id love to be informed!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Brianna first so sorry you too have to deal with hives, I have had them this time for 6 months after not having them for 30 years.. I have done everything went gluten free, changed laundry detergent, the antihistames just kind of made them less itchy , i had them everywhere and ended up in er with throat closing .. I have angioedema that makes my face and throat swell when i have a really bad bout of them... Mostly they are all over my body or were until I started xolair shots.. I am on my third round of them and they are going away except for a few a day on my legs. I dont take antihistamines as much any more .. I dont have the answers and when i can be hive free with no meds at all for three weeks I will do some allergy testing... the xolair shots are not without risk and are very expensive but luckily my insurance is covering them... 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.