Chronic Hives

Posted , 5 users are following.

So like many other patients here, I'm having a very hard time coming to terms with the chronic hives Im getting. It's been happening 8 months now. Ive gotten allergy testing and mold testing done in my apt to help rule things out. Ultimately, being diagnosed with CIU. I received my sample Xolair shot last month. No reaction, however hives only got worse (hints the photo below) Ive had every allergy med under the sun (yes even the prescriptions) and nothing works. I have to take 3 benadryl just to make the hives go down (2 does nothing). I generally wake up covered but sometimes it does happen throughout the day. Today, I had my 2nd shot and 2 hours later, my palms and feet got extremely hot, and the hives began to form on my arms. I went back to the allergist and he gave me a steroid and said we cannot be sure if my reaction is to the shot or not as its only the 2nd shot. Now, its a few hours later, Im home and breaking out and my lip is beginning to swell. It's almost like my body rejects everything. I NEVER have any breathing issues ect. but Im beginning to think, maybe this is something more serious? Has anyone had these symptoms in relation to thyroid, liver, lung diseases? Im going to tough it out to the 3rd shot but its becoming so mentally draining that its every single day. image

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Ouch Ashley, that looks very uncomfortable. I can only offer my own experience whereby I suffered for 18 months with CIU, eventually after much research I discovered that the trigger was the Mirena Coil. I had it removed and it took another 18 months to fully recover my immune system. I am free of hives now. I can only suggest that you consider any medication you are on - even long term medication as I had the Mirena for 18 months before I developed hives. Finding the trigger is the key. Good luck.

• Posted

I'm so sorry that you are going through this... I had chronic hives for almost two years on and off. Lucky for me, we were able to determine that the cause of my hives was my classroom. Since I have left the school, as my principal would not give me another classroom, the hives vanished. Finding the trigger is the cure and that's so hard to discover. I took Xolair injections for 6 months and they did not work... I took countless other medications too... nothing worked. I'm sending you positive energy in hope that you will discover the trigger.

• Posted

I'm so sorry that you are going through this... I had chronic hives for almost two years on and off. Lucky for me, we were able to determine that the cause of my hives was my classroom. Since I have left the school, as my principal would not give me another classroom, the hives vanished. Finding the trigger is the cure and that's so hard to discover. I took Xolair injections for 6 months and they did not work... I took countless other medications too... nothing worked. I'm sending you positive energy in hope that you will discover the trigger.

• Posted

Hi

I have been taking xolair shots for over two years it took quite a while for the shot to completely work.. I had the breakthru hives bad like yours pictured only all over my body and did end up in er with swollen lips and and throat swelling shut.. now i just have itching here and there and do take allegra some days when itching but i have not had hives since the xolair shot started to work.. they have never been able to find out what is causing them and I m not now willing to stop the shot as you have to do so to get more allergy tests..

• Posted

Consider if it is worth while continue with shots with no relief so far. I personally feel if a problem gets worse after taking a medication, one could leave it and see what happens thgen.

Rigix; an allergy medicine some time work better but try it only when come out of present reaction or what ever it is.

I am not a Doc and have just given you my own views as I had Urticaria long time back and presently going through non ending itching all over the body which does get better with Rigix and oil massage.

Wishing you the best

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.