Chronic IBS

Posted , 3 users are following.

Right there's to much history to put on here.But basically because I suffer Chronic ibs I was put on 45mgs of Mirtazapine I've been on it for 4yrs,twice I've tried to come off it as I don't think it helps,so why take a tablet you don't feel helps.My question is I'm comeing off it again I'm now down to 22.5 and it will only be 15mg by the week end.But the pain I have in my stomach feels more suffere could this be down to comeing off the Mirtazapine .As I'm doing pretty well comeing off it I want to keep it up.I have quite a few seriouse illness so I take a lot of meds,so I thought I'd try and come off a few,but as I say my pain feels worse .I would like to here some of your opinions .

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I found the thing Mirtazapine helped me with most was IBS. I got off 45mg in about 10 days down to 7.5mg before I saw my doctor to go on something else. (Weight problem and the mechanism causing the weight problem).

Do you know the cause of your IBS? Have you had it diagnosed? Do you have celiac disease? Mine seems to be mostly gluten sensitivity as far as I can tell. I haven't eaten anything with gluten in it (or oats) since last November. Pineapples, which you can get quite cheaply nowadays (I just bought 2 for £1), help a lot. It's the core of the pineapple that contains the bromelain, of course, so the tinned stuff is really of no use. Peppermint oil also helps to some extent but I don't tend to buy it.

• Posted

Thank you Robert for taking the time to answer my post.First no I don't have celiac I've had every test available including colonoscopy I've also tried the Fodmap diet to no avail,I just can't seem to pin point my triggers,so yes I have been diagnosed with IBS.At the moment I'm under a Proffessor of Gastrology but can't say he's much help there all at a loss.But thanks I will give Pineapple a try thanks.
  • Posted

Hi Norma,

once I was off the remeron for about 3 days the stomach problems started for me and instead of getting better they got worse. I was off the medication for 21 days and lost ten pounds ( I'm in America )

after not being able to stand the pain and anxiety anymore I got back on the remeron and every resolved itself with in 48 hours.

i hope this helps. So, after getting off this med, I'd be suspicious of and vomiting.

• Posted

It is definetly withdrawal symtom. It happened to me , stomach cramps and anxiety. The best thing to come out of it is to taper off slowly even if takes a couple of months. Iam going to try again but this time v.slow. seek ur physician help , they will help u in the dosage reduction. U will gain confident if u r under the supervision of the doc. Best of luck.
    • Posted

I'm determined this time to get off it I take to much medication for other reasons but never again will I keep trying a tablet in the hope of feeling well.One month if don't work that's it.Its Pregablin next I'm comeing off.     Thanks for your reply and be determined Good Luck 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.