Chronic idiopathic urticaria and pregnancy

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all, I’ve been suffering chronic hives since last September, with periods of a couple of weeks where antihistamines controlled it. Nothing has succeeded in “curing” it, and testing has not provided any information and my immunologist has put it down to immune disorder. Since becoming pregnant, I’m 16 weeks, the hives have become worse and I am limited in what I can take. I now daily wake up with head to toe (face included) hives, that stop itching with antihistamines but don’t disappear. My question is, did any of you go through pregnancy with CIU and how did you deal with it?

Thankyou.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello Fiona, there was a lady posting with something similar recently.  I suggested something called Pemphigoid gestationis  & then posted a link to a marvellous Dermatology site & she thought that the photos looked like her rash.

I hope you don't have this but it is an autoimmune disease, temporary I believe, with the one that develops in pregnancy.  It will give your doctor a direction to go.  Are you in the US?  The last lady was.

• Posted

Hi Fiona

Try a low antihistamine diet . Triamcinolon works for me, but that's a topical steroid . I'm not sure how safe that is for your baby . I've tried 3x the prescribed antihistamines and every kind with no luck . Candida yeast can also be the cause (likely if you've had antibiotics lately). Hives r not fun. Good luck

• Posted

The second time i had hives was when i was pregnant well both times i got them.. They gave me prednisone and told me it would not hurt the baby and it didnt but now I wonder if that was a bad move on my dr part.. this was 40 years ago.. I had angioedema and hives so bad that is all that would stop them .. it took four months and they were gone until last year 40 years later.. and of course  I am not pregnant..  I feel so bad for you i know how horrible these hives are and add being pregnant on top of that.. maybe go see an allergist or internist that is what i had to do.. Good luck and please keep us posted as to how you feel and how you are doing.. I will be praying for you that you find a good dr to help you... 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.