Chronic itching for 2 years now

Posted , 3 users are following.

For the past 2 years now I've been battling an itching problem that I cannot find a correct diagnosis for. Its so bad that I break the skin and bleed, leaving sores all over my body. It seems to be all over my body, in certain spots more than others (elbows, calves, thighs, sides of my torso, neck, biceps, ect). I scratch the same sores and scabs over and over and it's extremely damaging to my skin. It happens mostly at night while I'm sleeping, but also when I'm awake. The problem is that it feels so good to scratch that I don't stop. I feel like it's a psychological problem, but I'm having trouble figuring out why. I've been to my family doctor around 5 times, as well as a dermatologist twice. I've tried taking hydroxyzine, escitalopram, cetrizine, gabapentin, steroid ointments, as well as a cream for scabies and other medications that I can't remember off the top of my head. I've switched all my soaps, detergents, bedding, and anything that contacts my skin. I'm a little anxious, but no more than I've been all my life. From the internet research I've done, I think the closest description of this would be a 'psychogenic itch', which from my understanding has no treatment. This problem is severely ruining my quality of life and prevents me from doing the things I love or socializing at all. I don't know where to go from here, so any help would be greatly appreciated.image

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

same problems as you mate , how did you find pregablin? ive had this for 15 years and mine is mental , its breaking the cycle of thinking its impossible . i would recommend anti depressants they work , summit to do with serotonin uptake .

im back in itchy hell myself

• Posted

Pregablin? Do you happen to be overweight or otherwise unhealthy in terms of diet and exercise? I eat like crap all the time and never exercise. I think im going to try changing my diet and exercise to see if that helps, if not, then ill look into antidepressants.

• Posted

pregablin = gabapentin

i would address the food issue , im very healthy but still itch but i do feel worse after binging

do you sleep easy with itching ?

• Posted

Gabapentin was a last ditch effort from my dermatologist. I have a hard time getting to sleep initially, but seem to sleep ok once im asleep. I drink quite a bit as well, but find it very hard to control my itching at night after drinking.

• Posted

Yes, me too . Alcohol contains so much sugar ,I think that's part of my itching problem. But even without the alcohol ,I still itch quite a bit .Especially in bed .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.