Chronic itching with unknown cause?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been suffering from chronic itchy skin for almost 2 years now and I still haven't identified what's causing it. At first, I dismissed it as due to dry skin as my skin would only itch after taking a shower. It was extremely itchy that I had to stop until it subsides after about 15 minutes. It had no visible rash but would become red after scratching.

After several months, my itching would become more random (that is, not strictly caused by the shower anymore). It still had no visible rash. But as time passed by, I noticed that some itching would now become accompanied by redness even before I scratch it. My itching happens anywhere in my body except my face. Some itchiness had no rash (and these ones would be very short-lived lasting for a few seconds) and some would have redness and be itchy at the same time. It's just plain red and no hives or dryness or cracking or any raised rash whatsoever. There were like a few instances that the redness is accompanied by tiny red dots which I think are petechiae (but they're not more than 5).

(The last picture is not me but I included it to show what it looks like as I know the first 3 photos don't have a good quality. But mine is not as red as the in the 4th pic.)

Fearing that this chronic generalized itching is due to some systemic disease, I underwent several tests for diseases that are normally associated with chronic pruritus: CBC for anemia or blood disease (e.g. lymphoma, leukemia), liver function test for liver disease, urinalysis, stool exam, tests for kidney function and diabetes, thyroid function test, HIV and RPR test - all of which gave me normal or negative results.

My allergist-immunologist said that my skin could just be very sensitive and doesn't seem very worried. Interestingly, my itching is very responsive to antihistamines. When I take an antihistamine tablet, I would have no itching for a maximum of 5 days. So the allergist said I could just continue taking antihistamines.

But there's still a fear in me that it might be something else. My itching would continue to bug me everyday if not for the antihistamine. Should I give up looking for the cause of my itching and just take antihistamine for life?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Chronic itching can be so debilitating so I can understand your frustration. However you have had all the usual tests and nothing has been found that could be a cause.

Have you considered that this might be some sort of reaction to something you eat? You could try omitting something eg wheat, from your diet for 2 weeks and seeing if that makes a difference. If no difference then reintroduce wheat and omit all foods made from milk eg milk itself,cheese,yoghurt, etc. Again if no change then try omitting something else. Fish can often be a trigger for this sort of thing. Just keep trying.

You look very young so I am guessing this may have started in puberty?? Do you take any sort of oral contraceptive? if it was puberty that has triggered this condition it may disappear as mysteriously as it arrived, but it could take a few years.

Do you have any pets that came into your home about 2 years ago? Any indoor plants?

Interesting that you say it started after taking a shower. It may be a reaction to whatever chemicals are in the water where you live. There is also a quite rare condition where patients are allergic to water on their skin, but I stress it is very rare and most dermatologists would argue its chemicals in the water and not the water itself. Try to have very quick showers and always with cool water. Only wear 100% cotton clothing and have 100% cotton bed sheets.

Anxiety and stress also can cause rashes......could that be your situation?

As your dermatologist seems to thinks its ok to take an antihistamine daily that is probably your best course of action but try to have a break from them after about 6 weeks and see if the rash comes back. In the mean time try the food omitting .I think you should be monitored if you take antihistamines on a permanent basis and if you should feel at all unwell do see your doctor straightaway.

I do hope you find some relief.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.